• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung UK - Odd Repair Policy

I've had my NotePro 12.2 tablet for almost a year now. Unfortunately in the first month I leaned against it when a dog jumped on my lap and the screen cracked. Unsightly yes, but it still functioned perfectly and I decided to carry on and just put up with the annoyance.

Several months ago, when the device must have been at least 6m old, I began to encounter the random reboot issue and, together with a progressively diminishing battery life, I decided that enough was enough and I would contact Samsung for help. The first recommendation, not surprisingly, was a factory reset. I did this and repeated the process several weeks later but to no avail. The random reboots and low battery life persisted.

So I bit the bullet and sent it off to Samsung for repair. As an additional point I also emailed them about the likely cost of getting the glass changed while it was in the workshop. After a few days I received an email saying the screen repair would be £150 which I decided against. As I said, it was unsightly but no hindrance to normal operation. I rang them to confirm that the battery/reboot issue was fixed and to decline the screen repair.

I was somewhat taken aback to hear that the screen HAD to be fixed as well as the battery/reboot issue otherwise they would not proceed. After a bit more explanation they said that they understood that the 2 issues had occurred separately and were very unlikely to be related but that this was policy! ALL the faults had to be rectified, regardless of my wishes or the expense, otherwise no work would be done at all! It was like a garage saying that they wouldn't fix your alternator problem unless you had the windscreen replaced at the same time because of a crack...

I ultimately agreed to the full job being done as I need my tablet back asap. Does anyone else think this is unethical behaviour and tantamount to price gouging?? Looking forward to your comments, Mark

I can see where you are coming from... But on the other hand I think they are right.

I don't know how badly the screen was damaged.. But it's certainly possible a cracked screen might not survive the motherboard replacement, whereas an intact one definitely would. If it had broken they'd then get into an awful situation about who is going to pay for the repair that you hadn't agreed to.

And if that wasn't an issue... I'm not sure that they could guarantee the repair.. As if there was a fault later on, could it be drop related? Or a poor repair by them?

(I know you said it wasn't dropped... But you know what I mean)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones