• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help scrambled text messages

I have recently been notified that when I send a long text message, the recipients get it in an interesting format. It breaks up into blocks (normal), but then scrambles the text. The middle or end of my text may be in the first block and the 2nd block may be the beginning, etc. My boss showedme a text I sent her & it was crazy. My ex said his phone gets my texts the same way. A coworker said my texts are usually fine, but hers came through in the same mixed up manner this morning.

Spoke with Verizon & they said to send messages under 150 characters & do it in a multi-text format. My only issue is that the text to my coworker was less than 150 characters & it still broke up oddly.

Does anyone else have this issue & know how to get around it? It makes reading my texts a real pain.

Thanks in advance

This is is to do with the way long text messages are sent.

The mobile network only handles text messages up to 160 characters. When you sent a message longer than that your phone splits the message into pieces a little less than 160 characters and sends the pieces separately. It also uses some of the characters in those individual pieces to tell the receiving phone that it is a multi part message and how to put the pieces back together in the right order.

If that extra information gets lost or corrupted, perhaps because one of the pieces never arrives, the receiving phone can't put the pieces back into the original long message correctly and shows them as if they were individual messages in their own right.

Upvote 0
Well going with your theory it should also mean that pieces of information can be lost from the visible text itself, as the pieces of information that tell the receiving phone how to stitch them together are sent with the same medium.

That explains why, thanks, not a hardware/software problem of the phone.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have this problem. For years my mt long texts just automatically converted to multi media. Now they arrive scrambled at times and not in the right order. Verizon has worked with me on this and finally reset my phone back to a factory reset as a last resort but it still happens. Not sure what to do now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones