• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen has gone black

NewArtDroid

Apr 26, 2013
New York City area
I don't know what I was doing today but I hit some buttons and suddenly the screen has gone black. I've been able to turn the phone off, and turn it on, but I have a black screen. I removed the front cover Skinomi screen protecter. I know it is working because I can say "OK Google Now" and issue commands to call people. But nothing on the screen. I hope this is not the end of my phone? Please help.

I tried and it vibrates, but it doesn't show anything on the screen.

I took it to an IFixIt store and he took is apart. He found a lot of dust and cleaned that off. He also unhooked the battery. However, after putting it back together, it still didn't show. He says he could tell my LCD screen was replaced last year and he said the brand they used isn't the best. He think that went out, but it's $125 and special order to fix it. Or get a new phone. I posted before about battery problems and I have noticed other problems too. So maybe it is time now for a new phone? I am going on a trip tomorrow too. He recommended I visit a Best Buy for the best deals. I've contemplated a Droid Turbo, or perhaps, this same Droid Maxx since I liked it so much.

Upvote 0
You will like the Turbo more. You will like the Turbo 2 even more. (I have gone through all three.)

On my Maxx the buttons on the main display stopped wok king suddenly. I had no idea why. I assumed a hardware problem and I should get it replaced. In preparation for the trip to Verizon t to get it replaced I did a Factory Data Reset. The problem went away and never came back.

This might or might not be similar to your problem.

... Thom

Upvote 0
So I looked up how to do a factory reset. I held the up button for awhile, and then hit the power button. I did hear some noicss and then tried to move it up or down, and heard things since I couldn't see. I hit power button on of them. But I don't think it reset. This is where I miss the Bionic where I could just plug in via micro HDMI to see the screen somewhere else. This has MiraCast, but without the screen, I can't turn it on!

Upvote 0
Since you could see nothing when trying to do power off Factory Data Reset I assume it is a pure hardware problem.

(FWIW the Turbo 2 is the best phone I have ever used. A Motorola phone with a great camera ... unbelievable. Shatterproof screen. 3GB. Fast [much faster than the Maxx]. New Verizon plan where you buy it on installment with no interest.)

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones