• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Sizes

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
I was in town today and popped in to the EE shop because there was a massive banner saying they had a demo S8 unit instore. I started playing with what I thought was the regular S8 only to be told by the rep that it was in fact the S8+.

For a 6.2 inch screen, this phone is "tiny", well more manageable with 1 hand than I thought it would be.

Also, even though I only played with it for 2 minutes or so, that was long enough to tell me that the finger print scanner is in a very, very stupid position.

I think they just stuck it there because they didn't want to remove the feature yet. They are focusing more on the iris and facial recognition side, but this being the first full blown test of using facial/iris recognition. the Note 7 was recalled and did not provide the feedback they needed, it kinda blew up in their faces! With people still questioning if the facial recognition is any better than Android 4's facial recognition option, and no idea how well iris scanning will work yet on a large scale they had to keep it, while making it inconvenient enough for people to try the new facial & iris scanning tech.

Upvote 0
Well we already know that the facial recognition is dramatically insecure. I did note that the first few hands-ons all said something like "the FP scanner location is something you might adjust to on the S8 but more awkward on the taller S8+". I wondered whether it's there because some klutz reckoned that it looked balanced opposite the flash vs odd when placed underneath (i.e. form over function, which usually happens when you let Marketing make decisions).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones