• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SD card contents not appearing on PC

Hi all,

I need some help with my SD card.
Recently, I tried to root my Arc but it didn't work, my phone won't start up after the flashing part and I decided to reset my phone to factory settings using Sony Update Service.
Now the phone's fine and I decided not to root anymore, but my SD card does not show its contents on my PC when connected by USB. The contents such as music and movie files are still in there when I checked in my phone file viewer, they weren't wiped out, but I can't see these files on my PC at all. The SD card used to have my name as its drive name, but now it only states "SD Card". The available empty space is still the same, but it seems my files are hidden or something.

Could anyone point out to me what's wrong here? Thanks for any help.

To solve the issue, open Device Manager on your computer to reinstall the driver for your device while your device is connected with your PC via a USB cable.

Microsoft Windows Vista and 7 users:

To open Device manager on your computer

Click on the Start button.
In the Search box, type device manager, and then press enter.

Microsoft Windows 8 users:

Method 1

Click Windows Key + X to open the Start Menu.
Select Device Manager from the Start Menu.

Method 2

Click the Desktop Tile to open the Desktop.
Click >> at the bottom right of the taskbar.
Select Control Panel from the Menu.
Select Device Manager from the list of control panel items.
Note: If you do not see the screen with the Device Manager option, click the View by drop-down menu and select Small icons.

Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 users:

On the desktop, right-click on My Computer and click Properties.
In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
In the Hardware, tab click the Device Manager button.
To reinstall the drivers for your device

Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB section) of the Device Manager window.
Look for an MTP Device: Media Device or Unknown Device. Click on this entry and choose "Uninstall" whilst leaving the device connected.
Wait a few minutes, and the computer will reinstall the drivers for the device.
Now, the phone is accessible via Computer/My Computer on your computer.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I tried the method as you explained, I couldn't find "Media Device or Unknown Device" though, only what I could see as the picture I attached here.

On another note, just now when I tried again to check the SD card contents (I have tried some methods to fix this... most of them haven't worked yet so far), some of the folders that previously weren't visible, are now there, but most files within the folders were still missing. I don't know if the files are slowly coming back in or what...

I did try to install the Xperia device driver from the driver I found online (sonymobile), but it already said the driver is up-to-date.

Attachments

• usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
When you connect your Android Mobile phone on a PC, it will recognize it and give a pop up device installed successfully. At the same time on your android mobile phone under notification area you will see message called "connected as Media device" and below will be "Touch for other USB options". Select the option to see options as Media Device (MTP) and choose the same.
Once selected you will be able to see all the content of sd card of android mobile on your PC.

If the above suggestion helps any user than rate your comment. Thanks Prasad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones