• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD Card Problem

KhanMS

Lurker
Aug 18, 2019
Hi,

I have Samsung Galaxy A7 (2016) SM-A710FD 16 GB set. I am facing problem with SD Card. When I store any picture or movie to sd card it is damaged after few days (like the picture is attached here). I changed sd card but the new card has same problem too. Therefore, I thought it may be some phone issue. So I have to transfer my files from sd card to PC time to time.
Anyone can help me to find out the issue regarding this?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Pix.jpg
    Pix.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 292
So do you store lot of data on your microSD card? Are any other file types also getting corrupted like that?
Also, please provide more details about that card itself. How old is it? Is it a brand name make and model, or just some generic card?
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

Also, is the Camera app on your phone set to store photos/videos to the internal storage, or the microSD card?
-- If the former, how were you moving those photos from internal storage to the card? Using a file manager app running on your phone, or remotely over USB using the file manager of whatever operating system is running on the connected computer? Try using a file manager app on your phone to do basic file/folder management tasks, whenever you're relying on the file manager of a different operating system (Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder) it's always going to be a matter where the OS is trying to work with a non-native file system.
-- If the latter, try copying any relevant, saved files off of it and reformat the card. You could do this on a computer but note that the card's file structure is going to be based on being optimal for the native operating system on that computer (i.e. Windows wants things like default block sizes to be optimal for Windows, etc.). Format the card in your phone through its Settings menu instead. Now do a couple of photo tests with photos and videos and see how well they fare when stored on the card.

While you still need to look into this microSD card issue, as @ocnbrze suggested it might be best to just install an app like Google Photos.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_US
If you prefer the user interface in the Gallery app, you'll have the option to just continue using Gallery or Google Photos as your phone's photo manager but an important aspect to Google Photos is it includes a backup and sync function. Once implemented it will copy your entire photo library up into your online Google account. That way, when you need to access your photos you can do so either on your phone or when you're on your computer use a browser and go to:
https://photos.google.com
It's really important to have a good backup solution in place. Do not expect your phone to be a safe, long-term storage option. If it gets stolen or lost, or it just fails for whatever reason you don't want to lose anything vital. Look into using Samsung's Smart Switch utility to back up your data:
https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
why not just use google photos? it automatically transfers your photos to the cloud. i never have to worry about my photos on my phone.

I do this, I have installed google photos and it upload. But I received following email from google:

Simplifying how Google Photos & Google Drive work together
You are getting this email because you sync items between Google Photos and Google Drive.
Over the next few weeks, we are making some changes to help simplify how Google Photos and Google Drive work together. We are making these changes based on the feedback we've heard that the connection between these services is hard to understand.
• Your photos and videos will no longer automatically sync between Google Photos and Google Drive.
• You will still be able to upload to both services using the Backup and Sync app on your computer.
• We’re also adding a new “Upload from Drive” feature that lets you copy photos and videos to Google Photos.
• Your existing photos and videos are still in Google Photos and Google Drive.

That's why I am worried about my photos.

Upvote 0
So do you store lot of data on your microSD card? Are any other file types also getting corrupted like that?
Also, please provide more details about that card itself. How old is it? Is it a brand name make and model, or just some generic card?

Also, is the Camera app on your phone set to store photos/videos to the internal storage, or the microSD card?
-- If the former, how were you moving those photos from internal storage to the card? Using a file manager app running on your phone, or remotely over USB using the file manager of whatever operating system is running on the connected computer? Try using a file manager app on your phone to do basic file/folder management tasks, whenever you're relying on the file manager of a different operating system (Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder) it's always going to be a matter where the OS is trying to work with a non-native file system.
-- If the latter, try copying any relevant, saved files off of it and reformat the card. You could do this on a computer but note that the card's file structure is going to be based on being optimal for the native operating system on that computer (i.e. Windows wants things like default block sizes to be optimal for Windows, etc.). Format the card in your phone through its Settings menu instead. Now do a couple of photo tests with photos and videos and see how well they fare when stored on the card.

While you still need to look into this microSD card issue, as @ocnbrze suggested it might be best to just install an app like Google Photos.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_US
If you prefer the user interface in the Gallery app, you'll have the option to just continue using Gallery or Google Photos as your phone's photo manager but an important aspect to Google Photos is it includes a backup and sync function. Once implemented it will copy your entire photo library up into your online Google account. That way, when you need to access your photos you can do so either on your phone or when you're on your computer use a browser and go to:
https://photos.google.com
It's really important to have a good backup solution in place. Do not expect your phone to be a safe, long-term storage option. If it gets stolen or lost, or it just fails for whatever reason you don't want to lose anything vital. Look into using Samsung's Smart Switch utility to back up your data:
https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

• My SD Card is Samsung EVO 16 GB HC 1 microSD Card.
  • Camera App is set to store photo or movies to SD Card. (Please note: when set to phone internal memory no damage to photos at all even after months). But when store to sd card photos and movies both are corrupted after few days. I use sd card to store photos and movies only, no other files in it.
  • I move my files from internal storage to sd card using pre installed file manager of phone.
  • Copying or moving files I use third party app i.e. Send Anywhere between phone and computer. Very rarely I use data cable to transfer file from phone to computer. I am not using windows file manager to transfer files between internal memory of phone to sd card.
  • I rarely keep my personal photos in phone, but sometime I have to keep my work photos in phone.

Upvote 0
I do this, I have installed google photos and it upload. But I received following email from google:

Simplifying how Google Photos & Google Drive work together
You are getting this email because you sync items between Google Photos and Google Drive.
Over the next few weeks, we are making some changes to help simplify how Google Photos and Google Drive work together. We are making these changes based on the feedback we've heard that the connection between these services is hard to understand.
• Your photos and videos will no longer automatically sync between Google Photos and Google Drive.
• You will still be able to upload to both services using the Backup and Sync app on your computer.
• We’re also adding a new “Upload from Drive” feature that lets you copy photos and videos to Google Photos.

All that is referring to is the decoupling between Google Photos and Google Drive, both are just services that are a part of your Google account. You're still better off using Google Photos to do the automatic backing up into your Google account. Most people weren't even aware they could link Google Photos and Google Drive together anyway.

Reactions: KhanMS and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
  • My SD Card is Samsung EVO 16 GB HC 1 microSD Card.
  • Camera App is set to store photo or movies to SD Card. (Please note: when set to phone internal memory no damage to photos at all even after months). But when store to sd card photos and movies both are corrupted after few days. I use sd card to store photos and movies only, no other files in it.
  • I move my files from internal storage to sd card using pre installed file manager of phone.
  • Copying or moving files I use third party app i.e. Send Anywhere between phone and computer. Very rarely I use data cable to transfer file from phone to computer. I am not using windows file manager to transfer files between internal memory of phone to sd card.
  • I rarely keep my personal photos in phone, but sometime I have to keep my work photos in phone.
So that does clear up a lot of variables. (... and kills a lot suspicions I had about what might be going on). The problem does appear to be centered on that microSD card though. You should try copying anything savable off it, format the card, and then do a few test shots to see if that problem is still occurring. But the safest measure would be to just get a new card. Shop around for a good replacement, since your camera app is saving directly to the card it will make a difference on general performance, especially if you're shooting higher res videos.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

Reactions: KhanMS and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

All that is referring to is the decoupling between Google Photos and Google Drive, both are just services that are a part of your Google account. You're still better off using Google Photos to do the automatic backing up into your Google account. Most people weren't even aware they could link Google Photos and Google Drive together anyway.

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones