• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SGN12/SGN5 S-Pen Interoperability? SGN5 OS Upgrade?

Tim Jones

Lurker
Oct 16, 2016
TL;DR:
Q1: Are the S-Pens of the SGN12 and SGN5 interoperable?
— That is, does both the SGN12's S-Pen work on the SGN5's screen, and the SGN5's S-Pen work on the SGN12's screen?
Q2: If I buy a new or second-hand SGN5 N920I running Android 5.1.1, will 'Settings > About device > Software updates' allow me to install a Samsung OTA stock OS upgrade to Android 6.0.1?

SGN12/SGN5 S-Pen Interoperability? SGN5 OS Upgrade?

Hey SGNistas,

I own a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900 tablet (SGN12) and I'm looking to upgrade the stylus-based phablet which I use alongside it. I'm currently using a 2013-vintage ASUS Fonepad Note FHD 6 (AFN6) stylus-based phablet, but it's stuck on Android 4.4, so I'm aiming to acquire a more modern stylus-based phablet that can run on Android 6.0.1.

Until recently, that was going to be a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 { sigh }. Since that's no longer an option, I am now weighing up the pros and cons of these two candidates, neither of which have been officially released in the UK, yet both of which I can grey import from overseas via an eBay/Amazon order or similar:

(1) LG Stylus 2 Plus K535N or K535T - released July 2016 with Android 6.0.1 out of the box
● about » http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_stylus_2_plus-8079.php

(2) Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920I (SGN5) - released August 2015 with Android 5.1.1 out of the box
● about » http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note5-7431.php

So I'd like to ask for help from you in answering a couple of questions about the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920I:

Q1. S-Pen Interoperability
I mostly use 12" tablet and 6" phablet alongside each other every day, in a two-screen setup - but the SGN12's S-Pen doesn't work on the AFN6's screen, while the AFN6's stylus doesn't work on the SGN12's screen... so currently I have to put down one stylus and pick up the other one to switch between using tablet and phablet: needless to say, this marked lack of stylus interoperability is NOT an ideal situation.

Question #1: Are the S-Pens of the SGN12 and SGN5 interoperable?
— That is, does both the SGN12's S-Pen work on the SGN5's screen, and the SGN5's S-Pen work on the SGN12's screen?

Q2. Stock Samsung Android Upgrade
For your SGN5, GSM Arena notes "OS: Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop), upgradable to v6.0.1 (Marshmallow)".

Question #2: If I buy a new or second-hand Samsung Galaxy Note 5 N920I running Android 5.1.1, will 'Settings > About device > Software updates' allow me to install a Samsung OTA stock OS upgrade to Android 6.0.1?

Thanks in advance for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Tim Jones

PS: I've sent this query to Samsung UK Product Support via their 'contact us' webform and a simple webpage at » http://bit.ly/SGN12andSGN5 - yet past experience suggests that their efficiency or ability to answer these questions may be... ahem... sub-optimal. So my hope is that our SGN user community can help me out with some more prompt and accurate answers.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones