• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[SGS3-R530M] Modem Repository

you dont have to, you can be on any modem that you want. sometimes there is a noticable difference, sometimes there isnt its up to you to test :)

Yea for me lj1 seems a little mi better... I'm normally at about 6 down and up but on lj3 it will jump all the way to 10 and end up at like 3 or 3.5 down and up will start at about 1.5 and end up at 6.5 lol

Different results for different people doesn't hurt to try takes a couple of mins...

Upvote 0
Tried all 5, with speed tests and noting signal strength on each one before finding the one my phone/area works best with... MAN what a huge difference! I had no idea how much difference a different modem would make on a given ROM. Should really help battery life too.

Shabby - once again, YOU DA MAN! After all the work you've done for us, you deserve a Kegger! (will Mom allow alcohol and loud music in her basement?)
:p

Seriously - great work bro!

Upvote 0
Tried all 5, with speed tests and noting signal strength on each one before finding the one my phone/area works best with... MAN what a huge difference! I had no idea how much difference a different modem would make on a given ROM. Should really help battery life too.

Shabby - once again, YOU DA MAN! After all the work you've done for us, you deserve a Kegger! (will Mom allow alcohol and loud music in her basement?)
:p

Seriously - great work bro!
glad to hear it man, and yea better signal means better battery, if you have a lower signal like -90 then your device will be searching for other towers hoping to get connected to a better connection, which means draining via teh radio and wasting cpu cycles.

Reactions: Pappy62
Upvote 0
I flashed the new metropolis rom and it didn't change my modem had to flash the new one from here. Is that normal?

yes, you dont include new modems in roms, its asking for trouble. imagine if you flashed an att rom with a gsm radio?

this way it allows you to flash whatever radio you wnat and whatever rom you want :)

Reactions: Trueno22
Upvote 0
gotcha. man we got poor signal here in kissimmee tried the last three mdms and all three had be tween -92 and -100 the latest modem did get me 6mbps though.

it varys. you may have had your LTE signal which is scaled differently. cdma signal however is -50 you are underneath the tower, and -110 you cant even make jokes about "can you hear me now"

6mbps is decent speed so i imagine you have decent signal just saw the LTE numbers instead, obviously its still negative so the "lower" number is better, but idk what is acceptable numbers for it yet

Upvote 0
i would also try a signal booster on the playmarket to go along with trying a new modem out. what that does is refresh your radio and searchers for the nearest tower possible giving you the best latency possible and in return more signal bars and perhaps faster lte speeds but i suppose everyone is testing from home keep in mind just beacause your signal might great at home wont mean it will be great everywhere ya know how metro is. also some areas might be better than home so ya just gotta play with modems and see which is best for you and it might not be the latest MB2 could be a previous version.

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
i would also try a signal booster on the playmarket to go along with trying a new modem out. what that does is refresh your radio and searchers for the nearest tower possible giving you the best latency possible and in return more signal bars and perhaps faster lte speeds but i suppose everyone is testing from home keep in mind just beacause your signal might great at home wont mean it will be great everywhere ya know how metro is. also some areas might be better than home so ya just gotta play with modems and see which is best for you and it might not be the latest MB2 could be a previous version.

Ed Zachery... with mine (at home), LL1 worked best. Gotta try'em all and find the best one for a given area.

I'll keep all of them on my external... just in case I'm stuck out somewhere overnight with a crappy signal - that way I'll have some options to work with that may help.
These are very handy to have on the SD. :)

Upvote 0
yea i was gonna suggest that but to some that might be a bother haha i mean to boot into recovery and then flash the zip then reboot lol but hey most of us techies in here dont mind experimenting. im also thinking of flashing our original prl back on my phone with the new modem just to see how it functions.

Upvote 0
yea i was gonna suggest that but to some that might be a bother haha i mean to boot into recovery and then flash the zip then reboot lol but hey most of us techies in here dont mind experimenting. im also thinking of flashing our original prl back on my phone with the new modem just to see how it functions.

My apologies if it is posted elsewhere but out of pure curiosity I'd like to know your results

Upvote 0
My apologies if it is posted elsewhere but out of pure curiosity I'd like to know your results

not much i will admit battery dont last as long but i havn't experimented to see if its the modem/raidio thats draining my battery or something else with the firmware itself. i have noticed a few more process running the back ground so debloating would be something ill look into. as far my 4g speeds ever since prl 2032 was pushed back im averaged at 4 mbps hasn't gone lower than maybe 3.5 so thats cool. highest? 7 mbps like 20 min from home.

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones