• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sideloading 4.4.1 update hiccup

akmsr

Android Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2012
forest hill, fl
hi all
for five days i am using the nexus 5 stock (as it comes out of a box). i have sdk tools and latest usb drivers installed. i am transferring pics/videos back and forth with a vista laptop. today i decided to do the update.
when i rebooted to recovery (stock) from CMD in vista, i see the notification 'new hardware found' in windows. on the phone adb says 'no device found' when i issue "adb sideload update.zip" :rolleyes: took me half an hour to figure it out. vista needs driver with adb support for nexus. the driver that eventually worked for me was "universal naked driver v.0.73". the instructions say to uninstall the previous driver before using this but for me it was not necessary.
i downloaded and unzipped it in a folder. from CMD: adb boot recovery , vista finds the new hardware, right-click and 'update the device software' and point to my unzipped folder. it installs adb interface etc. back to update command: adb sideload ..... done.
thought i would share just in case for anyone having a driver problem like me.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones