• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Silence ringer on vibrate with all but permitted numbers?

Hi,

I need an app that can silence the phones ringer except for one or two numbers, but leave it on vibrate for everybody else.

I know I can:
1. create a silent ringtone
2. assign it as the default ringtone for the device
3. assign specific audible ringtones to contacts you want an audible ringtone to play for
4. post a sticky note on the home screen to remind me that the ringer is off.

This is what I'm doing now.

But it isn't as simple as just putting the phone on vibrate, and it's difficult to look at the phone and see if the ringer is on or off without turning it on and then unlocking the phone (the little vibrate icon is great for this simply turn the phone on and see if the icon is on top without unlocking the phone).

I have a relative who has the possibility of a medical emergency. My wife has power of attorney to make medical decisions if the relative cannot speak for herself. Therefore we are on 24/7 call. While at work, I cannot have the phone ring, unless it was this kind of emergency.

I don't need something complicated that has a scheduler for sleep times, meeting times, or anything, just something simple that provides that one function.

I paid .99 for Advanced Silent Mode, which was supposed to do just that, but it didn't work, and worse than that, froze my phone.

I've browsed about 100 other offers in the Play Store. Most of them are (1) either too complicated with time schedules for off and on with links to calendars etc., or (2) don't allow a specific number to ring through when the phone is silenced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

This is the exact sort of thing you can do in the llama app. You can set up a silent profile where ring/message volume is 0 but set individual numbers as 'noisy contacts'and give that group its own volume. You could also have a full silence profile for literally every one being silenced.

You can easily set a widget to change between profiles and get it to auto switch between profiles based on cell towers or WiFi router you are connected to. It can handle changing other apps non default notification tones as well.

Let me know if you need help configuring it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones