• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (SOLVED) Get rid of old Emergency Alerts?

vgt

Apr 6, 2017
Hello,
My phone came with the Messaging app but I've installed Android Messages, a.k.a Google Messages as my default SMS app. The phone runs Android 4.4.4.

I receive Severe Weather alerts and AMBER alerts, and that is fine. But they display in Messaging, which is not my default app instead of Messages.

I see nothing in the phone's Settings to do with emergency alerts, AMBER Alerts and such, except to silence the alert tone, and nothing in Messages having to do with displaying Alert texts there. There is no menu option to delete ancient alert messages in Messaging, unless I need to read the developer's mind and double-click something, (ahh, double-tap!) or some such.

I am writing from my desktop computer to post this question.

Main reason I want to delete these old messages is to conserve space on the phone.

Please advise, and thank you. //vgt

Thank you Dannydet. That was not quite what I expected to hear, but maybe the system clears them out eventually. I've had this Android for a little over a year now.

Speaking of space, I was running short on space and removed a number of apps not in use and one "cleaner" that left cache memory intact. I use Settings > Storage > Cache to empty that.

Upvote 0
If you're worried about space don't bother as these take up very little space, if any.
As far as deleting them they may be baked in to the operating system
Dannydat,
I just posted a Tip on How to delete old Alert messages from your phone.

It takes a long-held tap on the message to bring up a delete option in the Messaging app. My phone is now clear of Alerts but I can continue to receive them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones