• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some songs won't play.

Saw this thread today as I started having issues this morning.

I've been listening to an audiobook in my truck on the daily commute. I have a Galaxy SII with a 16GB SD card. All my mp3 and ogg files are on the SD card. I have an audio book on the sd card (MP3 format) and it was playing fine yesterday with the stock player (4.0.4, rooted).

Today, when I went to play those files, I would hit play and instantly the player would show a pause.

Going through my songs, some would play, others wouldn't. I rebooted to see if that would fix things - no dice. I cleared the app cache and also the davlik cache. No dice.

Reading this thread, I saw I had Google Music Player on the device. I tried that and it works.

/me scratches head...

Upvote 0
Ok, I have looked into this because I had the same problem. What I have found is that it is most likely caused by your choice of ROM. There are numerous way around it, but the easiest I have found is the BSPlayer free. It will play all of your songs in all formats. It isn't as pretty or convenient as the Stock Music player and most aftermarket players won't work either, but for some reason this does. I could not get it to play more than about 100 out of like 1000 songs and with the BSPlayer free it will play them all, however, it plays them in their original format, so if you got a song off Tubemate for instance it will play it as a video, but it still works.

Google Music Player did not solve this problem for me.

Reactions: niteNarmor
Upvote 0
Ok, I have looked into this because I had the same problem. What I have found is that it is most likely caused by your choice of ROM. There are numerous way around it, but the easiest I have found is the BSPlayer free. It will play all of your songs in all formats. It isn't as pretty or convenient as the Stock Music player and most aftermarket players won't work either, but for some reason this does. I could not get it to play more than about 100 out of like 1000 songs and with the BSPlayer free it will play them all, however, it plays them in their original format, so if you got a song off Tubemate for instance it will play it as a video, but it still works.

Google Music Player did not solve this problem for me.

Also I have found out it could be your volume if you are on a custom rom. If the volume is set to low then the errors pop up but if you set your media sound to its Max then play your songs it works fine. Adjust volume after song is playing.

Upvote 0
My old mp3's worked, but when I added new ones later i suddently could not play them in any music player on my phone.
I formatet (deleted everything) on my sd card using my phone. (Settings - storage - sd card - format/delete sd card.)
Remember to copy what you want to save to you laptop first.
This did the trick for me, now i can copy mp3's to my sd card and play them on my phone again.

Upvote 0
My music won't play on my phone, but it will on my computer, all my files are mp3s, don't require permissions, and appear, but do not show how long the song is, time wise. I have tried to clear the data, but it didn't work, I deleted the file and replaced it, but it still did not work, not all the music will do this, until now, but now anything I put in my music folder will not play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones