• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint moving ahead with plan to buy T-Mobile according to report

kate

Dreaming of Bugdroid.
Aug 14, 2013
tingmobile.com
Most people seemed to think this deal was dead, but apparently not. Some highlights from the report:

Sprint Corp is meeting with banks to work out funding for its bid for smaller rival T-Mobile US Inc, a source familiar with the situation said, as the mobile carrier works to ease regulatory concerns that the deal would hurt competition.

The source said that Sprint, which is owned by Japan's SoftBank Corp, is hoping to fund the bulk of T-Mobile's estimated $50 billion price tag with corporate bonds and cover the rest with syndicated loans and convertible bonds. Softbank is expected to make a formal offer in June or July, Bloomberg added.

Sprint is facing a battle ahead with U.S. regulators who oppose consolidation in the wireless market on the basis it would inhibit competition. The company is aware it may have to give up some of its spectrum holdings to win over critics, the source said. Two of the most vocal opponents to the deal are Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler and U.S. antitrust chief William Baer.
Full article here.

Just one?

Yeah. I'm not convinced that the combined coverage of Sprint and T-Mobile would be able to take out Verizon's coverage.

My other question is, for those that are technically savvy enough to explain...hypothetically, if this were to be approved and the companies merge, would they be able to theoretically create future phones that have both the CDMA and GSM radios built in?

My only frame of reference for CDMA phones that also have GSM radios are the World phones on Sprint (ala Touch Pro 2, Motorola Photon, Photon Q, Note 3, etc.). With those phones, there's a SIM slot for International GSM use.

Would it be as simple as Sprint/T-Mobile having radios built in for both networks and adding a SIM card for the GSM connection? Or would it be much more complicated than that?

Upvote 0
Yeah. I'm not convinced that the combined coverage of Sprint and T-Mobile would be able to take out Verizon's coverage.

My other question is, for those that are technically savvy enough to explain...hypothetically, if this were to be approved and the companies merge, would they be able to theoretically create future phones that have both the CDMA and GSM radios built in?

My only frame of reference for CDMA phones that also have GSM radios are the World phones on Sprint (ala Touch Pro 2, Motorola Photon, Photon Q, Note 3, etc.). With those phones, there's a SIM slot for International GSM use.

Would it be as simple as Sprint/T-Mobile having radios built in for both networks and adding a SIM card for the GSM connection? Or would it be much more complicated than that?

I can't comment if it would work technically but I don't think they would try.

First, I do think they would get rid of one of the networks and go strictly GSM or CDMA -- my hope is that they keep GSM (better 3G speeds if LTE is not available). There is a huge overlap in coverage between T-Mobile and Sprint, and I think they would try to sell off the towers they determine are no longer needed. I can see a company, such as Dish, buying them to start a new 4th carrier (along with the excess frequency that would need to be sold), or likely some regional carriers would have interest in the towers.

Before turning off one network, I see them getting VoLTE fully implemented, and making LTE work regardless of if the phone is Sprint or T-Mobile. VoLTE phones could then work on either network, if the phone supports the frequency needed. This would largely eliminate the need for phones to work on both CDMA and GSM.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I can't comment if it would work technically but I don't think they would try.

First, I do think they would get rid of one of the networks and go strictly GSM or CDMA -- my hope is that they keep GSM (better 3G speeds if LTE is not available). There is a huge overlap in coverage between T-Mobile and Sprint, and I think they would try to sell off the towers they determine are no longer needed. I can see a company, such as Dish, buying them to start a new 4th carrier (along with the excess frequency that would need to be sold), or likely some regional carriers would have interest in the towers.

Before turning off one network, I see them getting VoLTE fully implemented, and making LTE work regardless of if the phone is Sprint or T-Mobile. VoLTE phones could then work on either network, if the phone supports the frequency needed. This would largely eliminate the need for phones to work on both CDMA and GSM.

My only issue with that is, my house is an area that is difficult to get Reception, but Sprint is the most reliable. I'd be concerned that moving to VoLTE completely would hurt signal strength.

Upvote 0
My only issue with that is, my house is an area that is difficult to get Reception, but Sprint is the most reliable. I'd be concerned that moving to VoLTE completely would hurt signal strength.

I didn't mean they would do away with Edge. What I'm thinking is that, until they can turn one network off, they'd make both Sprint and T-Mobile's phones work with the LTE on either network, and have VoLTE in those areas.

So, if you go to an area where Sprint has poor or non-existent coverage but T-Mobile has good coverage, you will still be able to pick up LTE off of T-Mobile's tower, though you phone is not compatible with their 3G or 2G. By running VoLTE, you'll still be able to make and receive phone calls in that area and, in Sprint areas, your phone would work like normal.

Upvote 0
I didn't mean they would do away with Edge. What I'm thinking is that, until they can turn one network off, they'd make both Sprint and T-Mobile's phones work with the LTE on either network, and have VoLTE in those areas.

So, if you go to an area where Sprint has poor or non-existent coverage but T-Mobile has good coverage, you will still be able to pick up LTE off of T-Mobile's tower, though you phone is not compatible with their 3G or 2G. By running VoLTE, you'll still be able to make and receive phone calls in that area and, in Sprint areas, your phone would work like normal.

T-mobile doesn't get any service at my house.

Upvote 0
T-mobile doesn't get any service at my house.

I'm not sure why that matters. My point is, while they are maintaining both networks, the idea would be that your phone would work at your home like normal. The difference would be, if you go to an area where Sprint doesn't have coverage but T-Mobile does, you could still use LTE from the GSM tower and make phone calls.

My thought isn't to get rid of 1G, 2G or 3G networks, just make it so that you can get LTE from both T-Mobile and Sprint towers, regardless of the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why that matters. My point is, while they are maintaining both networks, the idea would be that your phone would work at your home like normal. The difference would be, if you go to an area where Sprint doesn't have coverage but T-Mobile does, you could still use LTE from the GSM tower and make phone calls.

My thought isn't to get rid of 1G, 2G or 3G networks, just make it so that you can get LTE from both T-Mobile and Sprint towers, regardless of the phone.

I see. I was just clarifying that, the coverage would have to stay the same for me to be okay with the merger, which means whatever connectivity from Sprint that allows me to have signal at my house currently, would have to remain (or be upgraded).

Upvote 0

Isn't that kind of how Spark works?

Upvote 0
From early reports I'm seeing, it appears the new company may just be called T-Mobile, with most of the T-Mobile management team being kept.

Can you post up links where you've seen that? I would not mind that at all. John Legere has been making great progress with T-Mobile, that I'd love to see what he could do with a spectrum big enough to compete with Verizon and ATT.

Upvote 0
Can you post up links where you've seen that? I would not mind that at all. John Legere has been making great progress with T-Mobile, that I'd love to see what he could do with a spectrum big enough to compete with Verizon and ATT.

I'm trying to remember where I've seen it all. Here is one of the articles.

Additionally, there are interviews with Hesse where he basically says that he is fine not being part of a merged company and is ready to move on to other opportunities -- he almost sounds (to me) like he has already been told he is out if the merger happens, but can't say that. By contrast, Legere seems to have consistently said in interviews that he will have a role if the merger happens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones