• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint spark and connectivity issues

Thatdad

Android Expert
Jun 4, 2013
South Georgia
Hello! So I recently left metropcs for sprint.

My little sister is on my mom's family plan with me and my other family members (she had this line I'm on and was paying for it, nobody was using it) and she gets around 3-4 bars, where as I only get 1... She has the iPhone 5C and I have the S4.

The coverage map says my area is the best when it comes to spark (not ultra though)

Anyone have any idea why I would only be getting 1 bar ?

This is my speed test.. I live right outside the metropolex (less than 4 miles out..)

Attachments

• 1401134430509.jpg
    1401134430509.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0
Does your Galaxy S4 support Sprint Spark? Sprint has two S4 models - L720 is the older model and does not support Spark, L720T does support Spark.

According to the iPhone LTE page no iPhone model currently supports band 41 (2500 MHz) which is required for Sprint Spark.

So it's possible neither phone is Spark enabled. Not sure why reception would be so different, assuming you're at the same location. You could try updating your PRL in Settings --> About Phone.

Reactions: DaisFlaque
Upvote 0
Does your Galaxy S4 support Sprint Spark? Sprint has two S4 models - L720 is the older model and does not support Spark, L720T does support Spark.

According to the iPhone LTE page no iPhone model currently supports band 41 (2500 MHz) which is required for Sprint Spark.

So it's possible neither phone is Spark enabled. Not sure why reception would be so different, assuming you're at the same location. You could try updating your PRL in Settings --> About Phone.

Mine is the L720T
I actually tried to update, here is a screenshot

Still one bar :/

Attachments

• 1401136927239.jpg
    1401136927239.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 1401136951678.jpg
    1401136951678.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
You could have issues with your account.

Could be a local issue in your area.

Could be a physical issue with your device.

IFruit devices aren't sprint spark compatible currently

Call into sprint to check on your account... Make sure all is in order

Is the device rooted? That could cause an issue with updates.

Go to another area in your city (at least ten miles away to be on a different set of towers) and test.

Go into a sprint store to check on the device physically.

Or factory reset.

There's only so much that can be done with strangers over the Internet that don't have access to your device and at some point you cats will be spinning your collective wheels..

Cheers.

Upvote 0
I'm in Valley Ranch/north Irving. My Sprint store told me that the Spark maps are only for what's coming. They said it isn't available here yet, and getting only 3G in their store with a Spark display phone showed exactly that.

I didn't realize that.. I wonder when their* service will match what's shown on the map

Upvote 0
none of us can really answer that. That is why its also important to contact sprint, give them your zip code and they can give you more info.

im in LA, and spark is alive and kicking here. i am enjoying it on my one max. the 800mhz lte band really makes a difference....

I didn't realize that.. I wonder when their* service will match what's shown on the map

Upvote 0
Have you simply tried resetting data on the phone? How about a factory reset? Dial ##72786# to reset data. Power off. Hold volume up + home+ power for a few seconds till you see it boot and small blue text at top of screen. Navigate with volume buttons and power to select. Select wipe data/factory reset. Reboot. And post results.. I'd like to figure this out too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones