• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Star Wars Books

Still haven't got my hands on Plageius yet... The Old Republic books are truly excellent though, especially if you are playing SWTOR

About halfway through Plageuis. Palpatine's apprenticeship is being covered in the story.

My PC is not capable of gaming. I do have a PS3 but all the great Star War games are for PC gamers. I would like to watch the storylines for all the PC games via youtube if they are organized.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
About halfway through Plageuis. Palpatine's apprenticeship is being covered in the story.

My PC is not capable of gaming. I do have a PS3 but all the great Star War games are for PC gamers. I would like to watch the storylines for all the PC games via youtube if they are organized.

IMO SWTOR is the only one that matters. The Old Republic books are directly related to the game (books are based off the game) and all of it is essentially a sequel to KOTOR 1 and 2

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
The first actual Star Wars books were written by Timothy Zahn and the trilogy is called "The Thrawn Trilogy"
Actually, no there were books written long before the Thrawn Trilogy. The Adventures of Lando Calrissian were first released in 1983 and there is also the Han Solo Adventures from 1979.

One of my favorite non-Zahn books is The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton.

Upvote 0
I've only read the novelisation of The Revenge of The Sith but that is one of my favourite books.

Have read up quite alot on wiki though,
Would like to read some of the books that follow Jacen Solo's story line, looks ace!

You definitely need to read the New Jedi Order series, and Legacy of the Force. There are a few centered on when he was younger as well.

Actually, no there were books written long before the Thrawn Trilogy. The Adventures of Lando Calrissian were first released in 1983 and there is also the Han Solo Adventures from 1979.

One of my favorite non-Zahn books is The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton.

You're forgetting Splinter of the Minds Eye as well, written as an unofficial sequel to New Hope.
The 'adventures' short stories aren't considered a part of the 'official' timeline (in the traditional sense).

Thrawn was when Lucas officially sanctioned books to be written and is credited with the revival of Star Wars. That is also when the 'Timeline' was created. Practically all the books following it were based of that series (at first anyway)

Courtship was one of the BEST standalone novels. It's up there with DeathStar.

LOVE seeing this thread bumped btw

Upvote 0
You're forgetting Splinter of the Minds Eye as well, written as an unofficial sequel to New Hope.
I didn't realize Splinter was from '78, I thought it was newer than that.

The 'adventures' short stories aren't considered a part of the 'official' timeline (in the traditional sense).
I didn't realize you were speaking canonically.

I met with Timothy in 2004 when I was in the 501st. He found out my daughter was named Mara Jade and my buddy who was in a Vader suit was walking around saying, "Lord Zahn demands Mara Jade's presence."

Lord Vader delivering Mara Jade:

100_0624.jpg

Timothy, myself, my wife and Mara Jade:
100_0656.jpg

After the signing we took Timothy to dinner and no one talked Star Wars with him. It was great, we all just say around chatting.

Sorry for the derail.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Can't believe you met the Master! You read his other books?
I didn't just meet him, I sat next to him at dinner.

I've read the Thrawn trilogy and the first of the 2nd trilogy. The 2nd book (for which we were at the signing) I've yet to read because my eye sight started getting really bad and I hadn't yet sucked it up and went to the eye doctor. Now that I have glasses and can see again I've been reading a lot, but mostly the Dune series. It is close to the top of my list.

Have you actually read the Lando and Han adventures? They're surprisingly good reads, not Zahn quality, but fun reads.

The X-Wing series was pretty dang good too. A lot of good characters were introduced and developed in that series.

I, Jedi is another good read. First and AFAIK the only Star Wars book written in 1st person.

Vector Prime by Salvatore is a must read as well.

Upvote 0
I didn't just meet him, I sat next to him at dinner.

I've read the Thrawn trilogy and the first of the 2nd trilogy. The 2nd book (for which we were at the signing) I've yet to read because my eye sight started getting really bad and I hadn't yet sucked it up and went to the eye doctor. Now that I have glasses and can see again I've been reading a lot, but mostly the Dune series. It is close to the top of my list.

Have you actually read the Lando and Han adventures? They're surprisingly good reads, not Zahn quality, but fun reads.

The X-Wing series was pretty dang good too. A lot of good characters were introduced and developed in that series.

I, Jedi is another good read. First and AFAIK the only Star Wars book written in 1st person.

Vector Prime by Salvatore is a must read as well.

Agreed on ALL points. I've read almost EVERY star wars book period, not counting fate of the Jedi series

Medstar duology is excellent, coruscant nights trilogy, Darth maul books are must reads (all those I just mentioned are tied in together)

The Darth Vadar trilogy (second book of that is revenge of the sith)

Zahn's non star wars books are off the chain as well. Check out Icarus Hunt

Upvote 0
A buddy of mine has been bugging me to dig into the Star Wars books, I swear he has them all!

I'm afraid if I start I'll loose a few months in a galaxy far far away. :D

A few months? ;)

There is in the neighborhood of 500 actual full length novels, not counting short stories, e-novella's and THOUSANDS of graphic novels (not a fan of the comics)

It couple easily take a year or more to make a significant dent :D

That said? WELL worth it. Depending on what part of the timeline you are interested I can suggest several books you could read without having to read them all

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
not a fan of the comics

I've just started reading the Legacy comics and their some of the most addictive comics ive read in a long time,

Could be because they build on and already massive universe but im really enjoying following cade skwalkers story.

The force ghost of luke popping up in it every now and again is cool as well

Upvote 0
I've just started reading the Legacy comics and their some of the most addictive comics ive read in a long time,

Could be because they build on and already massive universe but im really enjoying following cade skwalkers story.

The force ghost of luke popping up in it every now and again is cool as well

That did sound like an interesting period in the story... what, 100+ years after the movies?

Comics as in what comes in the Sunday paper? Or comic books?

Comic books

Grumble, grumble....

Graphic novels actually ( i think that is what they call them these days)

I just cant seem to be able to read/follow them very well. Maybe now that I have a tablet I will try out some comic book apps that let me zoom and pan a bit better.

For now the TEU novels are enough for me. I don't need to read about the resurrected clone of the Emperor, or about when Luke goes to dark side for a spell (they reference that in the OG Thrawn Trilogy)

Upvote 0
Has the novel Mandalore been cancelled? I can't find it on the Star Wars Novels Wikipedia list anymore.

Who was the author supposed to be? I know some Fett books were cancalled that the 'Republic Commando' lady was gonna write. They were gonna conflict with the cartoon or something.....

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
Who was the author supposed to be? I know some Fett books were cancalled that the 'Republic Commando' lady was gonna write. They were gonna conflict with the cartoon or something.....

I thought Drew Karpyshyn was going to write it but wikipedia says that Drew retired from Bioware: Drew Karpyshyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Not sure if that means he is done writing Old Republic novels.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Can someone help me I am looking for a star wars book and can't remember the title. I believe the main charactors name was Preston and was raised by a droid on a remote planet and is extremely strong in the force neither light or dark side

Preston isn't ringing a bell, you remember anything else about it? How new/old is book? YA or full length novel? What part of timeline it fell under? Pre or post Yavin?

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Preston isn't ringing a bell, you remember anything else about it? How new/old is book? YA or full length novel? What part of timeline it fell under? Pre or post Yavin?
I could be mistaken about his first name being Preston his last name was waycaster or wayfairer. His mother was a sith I can't remember her name. She gave birth to him secretly by a medical droid and the driod was supposed to kill the baby but instead raised the child in secret and taught him the ways of the force. He is described as being extremely powerful not being alighnedwith the light side or dark side. He can heal through the force, remote project his body. When he constructs his first light saber the color is pink but his final one the blade is white and activate faster then anyone has ever seen. During his adventure he saves a child named ten from the slave trade. I can't remember the rest of the characters names but I can remember alot of events that happened. It takes place after the death of palpatine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones