• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Steam Deck anybody?

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    So i finally bit the bullet and bought the 512gb version Steam Deck. i love my ps5, but i wanted to game pretty much where ever i want. would be cool to just to chill on my back porch and play some games. it is something i really do not need. but my b-day is coming up, so i decided to splurge. now not all steam games will play on it, i know. but most of the top games that are available on steam can be played on the steam deck. plus what is cool is that it is a linux based os. and with a little programing skills, you can do pretty cool things like emulations. now i have not researched what you can fully do with the machine other than play steam games.......yet.

it should take 1-2 weeks for it to arrive. this gives me time to look for accessories. the cool thing is that the deck already comes with a carrying case.

anybody have one?

in case anybody is curious, here are the specs:
    Tech Specs

Compute

Processor AMD APU
    CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
    GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
    APU power: 4-15W
    RAM 16 GB LPDDR5 on-board RAM (5500 MT/s quad 32-bit channels)

Storage
    64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
    256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*)
    512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*)

All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)
    All models include high-speed microSD card slot
    *Some 256GB and 512GB models ship with a PCIe Gen 3 x2 SSD. In our testing,
    we did not see any impact to gaming performance between x2 and x4.

Controls and Input

Gamepad controls
    A B X Y buttons D-pad
    L & R analog triggers L & R bumpers
    View & Menu buttons 4 x assignable grip buttons
    Thumbsticks 2 x full-size analog sticks with capacitive touch
    Haptics HD haptics
    Trackpads 2 x 32.5mm square trackpads with haptic feedback
    55% better latency compared to Steam Controller
    Pressure-sensitivity for configurable click strength
    Gyro 6-Axis IMU

Display

Resolution 1280 x 800px (16:10 aspect ratio)
    Type Optically bonded IPS LCD for enhanced readability
    Display Size 7" diagonal
    Brightness 400 nits typical
    Refresh Rate 60Hz
    Touch Enabled Yes
    Sensors Ambient light sensor

Connectivity

Bluetooth Bluetooth 5.0 (support for controllers, accessories and audio)
    Wi-Fi Dual-band Wi-Fi radio, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, 2 x 2 MIMO, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac

Audio

Channels Stereo with embedded DSP for an immersive listening experience
    Microphones Dual microphone array
    Headphone / mic jack 3.5mm stereo headphone / headset jack
    Digital Multichannel audio via DisplayPort over USB-C, standard USB-C, or Bluetooth 5.0

Power

Input 45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
    Battery 40Whr battery. 2 - 8 hours of gameplay

Expansion

microSD UHS-I supports SD, SDXC and SDHC

External connectivity for
    controllers & displays USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-mode support; up to 8K @60Hz or 4K @120Hz, USB 3.2 Gen 2y

Size and Weight

Size 298mm x 117mm x 49mm
    Weight Approx. 669 grams

Software

Operating System SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
    Desktop KDE Plasma

Upvote 0
    LOL! Not to be a joy kill, but why would anyone want to spend the money to do that?

Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice "hand held" gaming unit with great specs.
    I just find it fascinating how powerful computers have gotten in such a tiny form factor. I think for me, I'm just going to be playing games on my back porch. And take it with on my travels.

I also find it cool to be able to tinker with a device designed to play games and make it do something else.

Reactions: AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!

steam deck just arrived. i bought a cheap case for $15 and it feels like a $15 case.......lol

looking into getting a cool skin to put on in instead.

right now it is installing updates and i'll be downloading some of my steam games. i think any new games i'll play on my ps5 and maybe on my deck. i'll use my deck mainly to play some of the older titles that i am having nostalgia for. gonna download skyrim, the latest tomb raider games, fallout 4, bioshock 1,2, and 3, and maybe hitman.

Upvote 0
    so the thing that sucks is that since there are no disc, i have download everything which takes some time. plus it has a ton of updates. i'm still currently doing updates. once that is done, i can start downloading games. it does come with a small kind of an intro game to familiarize yourself with all of the buttons on the deck. its a cute fun game. i am amazed at the graphics. and it displays well out on porch where i like to chill. hopefully in a few hours or so, i should be able to start playing some games......i think i'm gonna start out with bioshock or fallout 4.

Upvote 0
    ok going on a couple weeks in so far. i am really enjoying it. i can play games any where i want with such ease. now the only issue really is the battery life. but you can tweak the settings or get a power brick to extend it. but playing bioshock for 2 hrs will completely drain the battery on its own.

i find it so cool that i can play these games while i am on my porcelain thrown.....ok TMI......sorry but it is so cool......LOL

Upvote 0
    You need to stop. I want to buy one now :ROFLMAO:
    get the 64 gig. its the cheapest, but you can upgrade it to more than 1tb by adding a 1 tb sd card.

if you like playing games, it is so much fun......or you can just unwatch this thread
    Angry Tom And Jerry GIF by Boomerang Official

Upvote 0
    just an fyi Steam is having a spring sale on games. there are some games that are ridiculously priced. it is their annual spring sale. its going on between 3-16 thru 3-23

plus the steam deck is 10% off right now!!!!!!!

Reactions: AugieTN
    Upvote 0
    • Haha
    Reactions: Milo Williamson
    Upvote 0
    well you can get a steam 64 gig on sale for $359 and Rusty Lake games are playable on the Steam Deck......just saying
    Again bro The games take way too much time, and you have to look at youtube and rusty lake wiki to find the correct order, with even the hidden secrets to each game man, I just finished and winning all achivements in Harvey's box the other day when the power went out.

Upvote 0
    so excited i just bought Balder's Gate 3.....downloading as we speak......i waited a bit to see what the reaction is for this game and so far it is a astounding success. it is from a Larian Studios who did Destiny 2. it is a turn based RPG which i have never played before and so this is very interesting. it is supposed to have 1,700 different endings......yes that is correct and not a typo. character creation alone is pretty crazy. there are 12 different classes with 46 subclasses. to say that the game is massive is an understatement!!!

there is some controversy over devs from other studios about this game. they are saying that gamers should not make BG3 the standard for rpg games. and that BDG3 is an outlier.

can't wait to play it.

Upvote 0
    Again bro The games take way too much time, and you have to look at youtube and rusty lake wiki to find the correct order, with even the hidden secrets to each game man, I just finished and winning all achivements in Harvey's box the other day when the power went out.
    that's the thing with the Steam Deck, you can take the game wherever you want. i love playing games chillin on my back porch.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
    Upvote 0
    so the Steam Deck is such a beast. on low settings i can play Starfield with very little issues so far. i'm only 5 hours in so i just started playing it. but so far so good. no bugs or glitches and it runs around 20FPS.

i wish they would offer a ps5 release. but microsoft owns bethesda so that will never happen. its a good thing that i have my steam deck.

one of these days i need to hook it up to my tv and play it on a bigger screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones