• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck on Google Screen - Fix or Data Recovery

Hey,

My Nexus 7 was becoming overrun with popups saying "Unfortunately Google Play Services has stopped working." I Forced Stop Google Play Services and restarted the tablet. Since then it has been stuck on the Google pre-boot screen. That was a week ago and I've tried tapping the back of it as forums suggest. It is not rooted or anything.

I can access the recovery screen (Power + Vol Down), and in this mode when I connect it to my PC, my PC recognises it and installed drivers etc. But from there nothing shows up. Also I don't think I can run ADP or anything as I can't access my settings/developer options on the tablet, which I think are needed?

Can you PLEASE help me at least get the data recovered? I have some stuff on there I really wasn't expecting to lose so suddenly as it was working fine up until last week :(

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Gerard

Attachments

• IMG-20171121-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20171121-WA0019.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 290
There is a way of reflashing the system image (essentially reinstalling the OS), without wiping the data partition. That might have got you up and running long enough to back up, but I've had a scan through the instructions and you need to unlock the bootloader, which will wipe the data you need.

I do think you're out of luck, but I'll tag @scary alien, he has a better knowledge of ADB etc than I do so I'll see if he can help.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if you don't have USB debugging enabled, then you can't even try using adb while the system is booting or hung...

If the bootloader is still locked, you can't use adb for much other than to do a sideload...

Which does mesh with what EP alluded to above that you might be able to sideload just the operating system (i.e., re-flash just Android) without wiping your data. This is done via/from the stock recovery.

Not 100% sure which 2nd gen N7 you have...the variant of "flo 32G" makes me think you might have the 3G mobile version (or the 32 GB model maybe) or is it the "regular" wi-fi only version?

Anyway, have a peek at the instructions at the top of the page for the two different versions of which OTA you'd want to try to download:

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones