• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swipe typing

Has anyone else noticed that often when swipe typing the word thrown in is in a sense a brand name, a product, or perhaps a person of interest.

I don't remember all cases, it happens way to often, a word that makes no sense, does not fit the context, sometimes not even starting with the right letter gets thrown in a sentence causing me to loose my train of thought in the correction.

I remember when I first discovered swipe typing every time I typed the word (and) let alone swiping it the word (Android) would pop in. Which was really, really annoying. I am assuming it was someone's way of bringing Android to our attention. Thankfully they fixed it.

Subliminal advertising?

The latest was the word allergies. Every swipe produced Allegra. Over and over again. I ended up trying the mike. Same result. Why? Do they sound the same?

Finally I found an article that had the word allergies in it then copied, and pasted. Problem solved, but now where was I?

Oh, yeah. Now I can swype the word allergies with no problem.

Have advertisers discovered that they can use my keyboard to promote their products?

Note, allergies wasn't even listed as a suggestion.

Again it happened. Cold came out coke on first try, cod on second try, but at least this time cold was one of the suggested words. The subject was the weather. I suppose with a little imagination I could fit either word in a subject dealing with the weather.

Last edited:
I use Swype keyboard board, but just switched to Google to see if I could reproduce your results. I could not reproduce any of those particular substitutions.

If Google suggests a word that you never use, you can easily get rid of it forever: Long press on the unwanted suggestion and drag it up to trash icon.. It will never appear again

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones