• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile changing Simple Choice plans

mogelijk

Android Expert
Jun 8, 2012
T-Mobile is now offering 1GB high speed data instead of 500MB on the $50 Simple Choice plan, which is pushing the $60 plan up to 3GB high speed data (up from 2.5GB).

Where the change isn't so good is that the $70 plan will no longer be unlimited, instead it will be a 5GB high speed data plan (including 5GB of tethering), and a new $80 plan is being added, which will be true unlimited.

It appears if you are currently on an unlimited plan, or sign up prior to March 23, you will have the choice of being grandfathered in, or you can switch to the new 5GB plan (not really sure why people would want to do that).

Additionally, starting April 1, Simple Choice users will get free International texting from the US.

Reactions: la sal and tube517
I sure hope I get grandfather in at the $70 unlimited I have now. Is this true?

Only time you would want to upgrade to $80 is bc you need to sms internationally.

The thing I don't understand is that Simple Choice is not Prepaid.

Yes, if you currently have the $70 plan, or if you sign up for the plan prior to the plans changing (March 23) then you have the choice of being grandfathered on unlimited or switching to the new $70 plan. This is according to the T-Mobile press release.

Additionally, an interesting tweet by John Legere tonight, "The arbitrary walls between postpaid and prepaid customers are crumbling! All #simplechoice customers get the same new benefits." Sure sounds like they are planning to offer many of the postpaid benefits to prepaid customers, at least the ones on the $50/60/70/80 plans.

Upvote 0
I see. I guess there will be an email or something to see if I am going to be grandfather in.

Unfortunately I am doing a new family pan in Oct bc I still have balance in all 3 of my prepaid phone. Once you switch to Simple Choice, all prepaid balance are gone.

I guess if prepaid and postpaid are the same, then the only difference is how you get billed?

With prepaid you can use prepaid refill card and with Simple Choice you cant?

And with prepaid refill, you don't need to pay tax if you don't buy from Tmo?

Upvote 0
$30 plan is those hidden plan that if you don't ask then nobody would know. And its only their website and Walmart. The last time I heard.

I am reading that the prepaid plan would just go away.

If that is the case, then why do we need refill card anymore?

Actually I don't want to pay $10 more, but if I have no choice, at least I can just sent a bunch of international sms to my friends just because I could.

Upvote 0
I see. I guess there will be an email or something to see if I am going to be grandfather in.

Unfortunately I am doing a new family pan in Oct bc I still have balance in all 3 of my prepaid phone. Once you switch to Simple Choice, all prepaid balance are gone.

I guess if prepaid and postpaid are the same, then the only difference is how you get billed?

With prepaid you can use prepaid refill card and with Simple Choice you cant?

And with prepaid refill, you don't need to pay tax if you don't buy from Tmo?

From what I understand, you cannot use the prepaid cards of postpaid. If you have a large balance on prepaid, you might talk to a representative in store to see if they can transfer your prepaid balance to a postpaid credit.

Upvote 0
From what I understand, you cannot use the prepaid cards of postpaid. If you have a large balance on prepaid, you might talk to a representative in store to see if they can transfer your prepaid balance to a postpaid credit.

I see. I call Tmo and the gal said when you go from prepaid to Simple Plan, all your balance on prepaid is gone. She also said all the phone need to get new SIM card.

I might try the store and see.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I see. I call Tmo and the gal said when you go from prepaid to Simple Plan, all your balance on prepaid is gone. She also said all the phone need to get new SIM card.

I might try the store and see.

Thanks.

I really didn't think it was allowed. Just that in store, since the sales people want their commission, they may try some unconventional methods to move the balance, or at least find you a credit for a similar amount.

Upvote 0
I was browsing tmobile site for a new plan as i want to upgrade from my $30 5gb data plan, for the everything unlimited $70 plan, and i saw this notice on the site:

Unlimited 4G LTE data with 2.5GB of 4G LTE tethering (Smartphone Mobile HotSpot) available until March 23rd.

70 dollars per month will not get you unlimited data at LTE speeds anymore. Instead, you'll get 5GB of data and tethering. Previously, the unlimited plan only included 2.5GB of tethering allowance. The new $80 plan will give you unlimited data at LTE speeds with a generous 5GB of tethering as well as the Stateside international texting.

Now, if you're an existing $70 unlimited customer, you don't get automatically switched to the new plan. You can opt in to pay the extra $10 per month, but only if you want to.

Existing customers on the existing Unlimited 4G LTE plan (or who sign up before March 23 for it) will be able to choose to stay on that plan (by taking no action) or they can switch to the new version with more tethering for just a few dollars more per month.

[UPDATE] Simple Choice plans changing to add more data, new $80 unlimited tier, now including Stateside International Texting | TmoNewsTmoNews

By the way reason i want to upgrade from my current $30 5GB data, is because last 4 months i keep using all my data before the 30 days billing cicle :(

Upvote 0
Ugh oh.

This is TERRIBLE news I suspect for us Metroers.

Even though it was only last year that they (Metro) went UP to $40, $50 and $60 it doesn't sound like they can stay there if T-Mo does this. Otherwise anyone who could unlock would head to Metro it seems to me.

It would be nice to see this explode into a PR nightmare for T-Mo otherwise I suspect a similar increase is heading soon to Metro.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
Everyone should know that these type of changes are inevitable. I even see Tmo getting rid of Unlimited Data all together at some point. Their network will eventually grow allowing more people to swap at which at some point it will become saturated just as VZW's has. IMO it will probably be a year or two before Tmo makes a change such as this and even then i'm sure the grandfathered people will be ok.

The ole Bait and Switch.

Upvote 0
Everyone should know that these type of changes are inevitable. I even see Tmo getting rid of Unlimited Data all together at some point. Their network will eventually grow allowing more people to swap at which at some point it will become saturated just as VZW's has. IMO it will probably be a year or two before Tmo makes a change such as this and even then i'm sure the grandfathered people will be ok.

The ole Bait and Switch.

I am keeping my fingers and my toes crossed.

T-Mobile is about innovation and saving money for consumers so far.

History always has this cycle: starting out humble, then glory days are here (gluttony, market gone up crazy, life is good, forgot the past), then correction (market crash, house market crash, foreclosure), then back to humble beginning.

I wonder if Tmo is like that?

Upvote 0
T-Mobile is about innovation and saving money for consumers so far.

Agreed but this is mostly due to being 4th among the top 4 carriers. They had to be in order to survive. If/when they get truly successful, I'd be truly surprised if they continue to be as innovative. Why would Verizon or at&t be "innovative" when they were already top dogs in the industry.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones