• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tab 4 speaker is broken

Happened a few days ago. Headphone jack still works. Running a tab 4 rooted, with the last build of the Prism rom from xda. Also running a kernel that overclocks CPU speed to 1586. I'm guessing it could be due to age (nearly 2 years old), and the few bouts of brief overheating, but not sure. Not really in the mood to do a full wipe, then reinstall everything just to see if that fixes my problem. (Don't have a nandroid that's close to current setup, before the speaker broke.)

Anyone else have this issue? Rooted or not. Otherwise my Tab 4 still runs great.

I can't help but interested on what the problem might be. Seems like age should not be a factor. Couldn't a faulty headphone jack be the cause, muting your speaker?

Could be, but the headphone jack still works fully when I plug in a pair. I don't hear any unnecessary distortion or other noises that would indicate the jack doesn't work. :thumbsdowndroid: Might have to try some contact cleaner.

Upvote 0
Finally got around to replacing my Tab 4's battery about a month ago. The original became bloated, and was squeezing against the screen and casing, where the internal speaker is attached. It's a good thing I replaced the battery. It might have exploded if I kept it much longer. This is the battery I purchased on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ANDQACU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a short review posted there, with photos. The internal speaker began working again.

Reactions: AnciusD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones