• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text msg app doesn't obey default browser setting.

Galane

Mar 9, 2012
I have a Galaxy J7 Prime from Metro PCS with android 7.0. Out of the box it was set to automatically set default apps to the first apps chosen to do things.

I've no idea what browser the text messaging app uses when links in texts are tapped. I've set the default to Dolphin and it ignores that. Set default to Chrome and it ignores that too. I've also (supposedly) changed it to not have any browser set as default, but the messaging app still does not ask me what browser to use.

I don't know what browser it does use, there's nothing shown to identify it, and no address bar to be able to enter a different URL.

Resetting ALL app preferences might fix it, I'd have to check to ensure that doesn't also re-enable auto-setting of default apps.

But I do not want to reset *everything*. That would mean having to re-do a ton of settings. I just want to NOT have a default browser set, and to have the texting app obey *my choice*.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones