• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thunderbolt Root/Unroot Thread

how did you talk verizon into replacing our phone,but letting you keep it? they are not expecting it back? :thinking:

if you want to try a solid stock rom,try jrockers stock rooted ota rom,wich is at the top of the forum. it has radio downloads as well,if youre still on older radios.

i perosnally would try running a .exe file and re-rooting after. if your hboot is the old eng 1.04.2000,then you may wish to consider flsahing shadowmites permanent patched hboot first(available in the radios,recoveries,and hboots thread) so you will still be s-off after running the .exe.

the eng 1.04.2000 hboot does not protect itself from being overwritten,and thus will be replaced with the hboot from the .exe. if you want to re-root you can do so easily by installing the recovery of your choice,and flahing this file in recovery: superuser 3.0.7

Upvote 0
how did you talk verizon into replacing our phone,but letting you keep it? they are not expecting it back? :thinking:

if you want to try a solid stock rom,try jrockers stock rooted ota rom,wich is at the top of the forum. it has radio downloads as well,if youre still on older radios.

i perosnally would try running a .exe file and re-rooting after. if your hboot is the old eng 1.04.2000,then you may wish to consider flsahing shadowmites permanent patched hboot first(available in the radios,recoveries,and hboots thread) so you will still be s-off after running the .exe.

the eng 1.04.2000 hboot does not protect itself from being overwritten,and thus will be replaced with the hboot from the .exe. if you want to re-root you can do so easily by installing the recovery of your choice,and flahing this file in recovery: superuser 3.0.7

I called Verizon and had them escalate me to a Level 2 tech. I told him the phone was boot looping and had been all day (true), and that I've only been able to actually get past boot 2 or 3 times out of the close to 100 loops I've been getting (also true). He tried to walk me through a factory reset, but I stopped him right there and told him I can't even get into hboot. Since my phone fell out of warranty only 2 weeks ago, he agreed to let me upgrade at new contract pricing :D. But yeah, I cannot actually answer your question--I have no idea why he allowed this without even asking for my current phone in return. Out of the probably 7 times I've called Verizon with major customer service issues in the past three years, this is the ONLY time someone has actually worked with me and solved my problem to my complete satisfaction without having to fight. Very confusing indeed.

Ok, so let me make sure I understand you correctly. Your recommendation is to first flash Shadowmite's hboot before doing anything. Should I flash in hboot or from recovery (currently running Clockwork 5.0.2.1)?

Secondly, I should run an .EXE. Are you talking about an auto-unrooting tool? If not, what exactly will this process do? And is there a specific one you recommend I run?

Thirdly, I can re-root once I have completed the first two steps. What is now the preferred method for rooting? Is it the Revolutionary method? Or can I just download Superuser and flash in Recovery?

Finally, thank you for the ROM recommendation. I have no clue what radio I'm using as I was an idiot and went flashing things all over when I first got it rooted. Do all ROMs come with a radio version? Do you have any clean & stable AOSP Rom/Radio thoughts? Lastly, should I use stock kernel or do you have any recommendations for solid kernels?

Thank you again so much.

Upvote 0
I called Verizon and had them escalate me to a Level 2 tech. I told him the phone was boot looping and had been all day (true), and that I've only been able to actually get past boot 2 or 3 times out of the close to 100 loops I've been getting (also true). He tried to walk me through a factory reset, but I stopped him right there and told him I can't even get into hboot. Since my phone fell out of warranty only 2 weeks ago, he agreed to let me upgrade at new contract pricing :D. But yeah, I cannot actually answer your question--I have no idea why he allowed this without even asking for my current phone in return. Out of the probably 7 times I've called Verizon with major customer service issues in the past three years, this is the ONLY time someone has actually worked with me and solved my problem to my complete satisfaction without having to fight. Very confusing indeed.
oooh,gotcha. so they arent actually replacing that phone with another for warranty. its not so wierd that they let you keep your old phone with an early upgrade.

Ok, so let me make sure I understand you correctly. Your recommendation is to first flash Shadowmite's hboot before doing anything. Should I flash in hboot or from recovery (currently running Clockwork 5.0.2.1)?
correct. flash shadowmites permanent hboot before doing anything. flash the hboot in hboot as a PG05IMG,not in recovery.

Secondly, I should run an .EXE. Are you talking about an auto-unrooting tool? If not, what exactly will this process do? And is there a specific one you recommend I run?

not an unroot tool,just flashing htcs official signed files. there are 2 ways to do it:
1)as a PG05IMG
2)as a .exe that is run on your pc. just download the .exe file,and run it as administrator. follow the onscreen directions and plug in your phone when it tells you to. it will update everything to the most current(except the hboot,wich will protect itself from the new hboot flash)

Thirdly, I can re-root once I have completed the first two steps. What is now the preferred method for rooting? Is it the Revolutionary method? Or can I just download Superuser and flash in Recovery?
since youll still be s-off,all youll need to do is:
1)install recovery as a PG05IMG in hboot
2)flash superuser in recovery.

thats it. its amazingly easy and uncomplicated :D

Finally, thank you for the ROM recommendation. I have no clue what radio I'm using as I was an idiot and went flashing things all over when I first got it rooted. Do all ROMs come with a radio version? Do you have any clean & stable AOSP Rom/Radio thoughts? Lastly, should I use stock kernel or do you have any recommendations for solid kernels?

Thank you again so much.

for AOSP roms,look at liquid 3.2 or thundershed 1.5. both are cm7 based(AOSP gingerbread)

for radios,just use the most curent. not all roms will come with a radio. jrockers radio in the rom i linked,is currently the newest :)

Upvote 0
not an unroot tool,just flashing htcs official signed files. there are 2 ways to do it:
1)as a PG05IMG
2)as a .exe that is run on your pc. just download the .exe file,and run it as administrator. follow the onscreen directions and plug in your phone when it tells you to. it will update everything to the most current(except the hboot,wich will protect itself from the new hboot flash)

I think I'd rather flash from hboot as I'm on a Mac and I'm too lazy to create a Windows partition. Do you have a link to a zip?

Thanks again for the quick and concise response! Looking forward to getting this thing back in good shape.

Upvote 0
I think I'd rather flash from hboot as I'm on a Mac and I'm too lazy to create a Windows partition. Do you have a link to a zip?

Thanks again for the quick and concise response! Looking forward to getting this thing back in good shape.

there are both linked in the root/unroot thread in post 4. however,there is a specific reason i reccomended the .exe over the PG05IMG.

we have seen the .exe files "fix" bootlooping phones on other occasions. theoretically the PG05IMG file should be doing the same ting,but we cant say for sure... the .exe files may be restoring/fixing some part of the phones that the PG05IMG isnt.

Reactions: OMGPizzaParty
Upvote 0
I have a Thunderbolt that was rooted using Revolutionary. Now, my touch screen is not working, and I need to send the phone back to Verizon for replacement. I cannot use ADB to achieve S-ON, because the phone is not being recognized by USB.
Is there a file I can copy to my SD card and flash to achieve the S-ON, rather than using ADB commands?

Upvote 0
I have a Thunderbolt that was rooted using Revolutionary. Now, my touch screen is not working, and I need to send the phone back to Verizon for replacement. I cannot use ADB to achieve S-ON, because the phone is not being recognized by USB.
Is there a file I can copy to my SD card and flash to achieve the S-ON, rather than using ADB commands?

no. you need adb to make the permanent hboot overwriteable.

what do you mean "not being recognized by usb" ?

if you mean your charger port is proken,then you can unroot using the directions herepost #3

if your charger port is working,and you just arnet getting a responce from "adb devices" or "fastboot devices" then you can just fix that issue.

Upvote 0
It appears that my USB port on my phone may be defective, as well as my touch screen. When I connect my TB to my PC while the phone is on, Windows attempts to install drivers (it takes about a minute before the PC recognizes that this "new device" has connected) then fails. If I go into Device Manager on my PC to see what failed, it shows 2: USB Mass Storage Device, and HTC Ethernet Adapter 9k #4. I tried the following:
1) Uninstalled anything HTC related on my PC (all I actually found was the HTCDriver3.0.0.007)
2) Reinstalled HTCDriver3.0.0.007
3) Tried connecting to a different USB port on my PC. Same two drivers fail.
4) Deleted drivers, disconnected phone
5) Booted phone into HBOOT mode, connected phone to PC. Driver fails to install again (USB Mass Storage Device only this time).
6) Wiped phone completely, restored a backup from a month ago. Attempted to connect via USB. Same issues as before.
I cannot use the ADB over wifi, because I would need to install the software, which I cannot do because my touchscreen is not responding.
Any suggestions on your part would be greatly appreciated, as always!

Upvote 0
are you certain that usb debugging is enabled on the phone?

if you put the phone in fastboot,do you get a response from fastboot devices ?

only thing i can think of off the top of my head,if the phone is not recognized in fastboot mode is try a different pc. borrow a laptop,or go to a friends house and use their desktop.

i dont believe the issue is your usb port,i believe there to be something interefering with the phone on your PC. i have seen many cases where people with conncetion issues tried everything but stand on their head without success,then have no prollems whatsoever on a different pc.

you could certainly run an ruu and get bacl to stock software with a pg05img on the sd,but removing the permanent patched hboot requires you to at least get the phone recognized by a PC in fastboot mode.

Upvote 0
When I put the phone in fastboot and connect to my PC, no response at all in fastboot devices or adb. The pc does not recognize it as a device (looked in device manager to see if there were any faulty devices listed there, none).
I tried all the same on a second pc, and get the same results.

you do have a working fastboot utility and the needed things to run it?

unfortunately,im out of ideas... there shouldnt be any reason that you cant get working drivers and your phone recognized in fastboot. do you have access to another htc phone that you could check a few commands in cmd?

i will ponder it,but if your charger port is in fact semi-broken to where it wont connect in any mode to a PC,and you have no way to install the adb wireless app and check usb debugging on your phone,i dont think there is a way to get rid of the "revolutionary" or shadowmite permanent hboot. :(

Reactions: illboy3
Upvote 0
im sure this is prolly now a day late,and a dollar short,but if you happen to still have the phone ive figured out a way to get rid of the permanent hboot,if you want to be the guinea pig.

it turned out to be incredibly simple once i made some time to try it. ive tested it on my phone and found it to work. im not sure if i should change the original unroot thread now to accomomdate it. let me know if you need it and ill get you a link for an overwriteable hboot what will overwrite the permanent one. you can simply flash it in hboot.

sorry i didnt get to it sooner :eek:

Upvote 0
im sure this is prolly now a day late,and a dollar short,but if you happen to still have the phone ive figured out a way to get rid of the permanent hboot,if you want to be the guinea pig.

it turned out to be incredibly simple once i made some time to try it. ive tested it on my phone and found it to work. im not sure if i should change the original unroot thread now to accomomdate it. let me know if you need it and ill get you a link for an overwriteable hboot what will overwrite the permanent one. you can simply flash it in hboot.

sorry i didnt get to it sooner :eek:

I have a tbolt that I need to send back it was rooted a long time ago and I just need to get it put back so I can send it back. usb isn't working any help you could offer, I really don't want to mess with all of it, but I don't want to get dinged for it either. they are sending me a replacement, once I get the battery charged and put back in the old one then I will be ready to start the process of putting it in some kind of factory order.

Upvote 0
is your phone revolutionary rooted? if so then you can use the directions in post 3 to use wireless adb,or you can use the directions in post 7 to replace the revolutionary hboot with a modified one that is overwriteable.

ive tested the post 7 directions on my phone and no issue,but be aware youd be the guinea pig for other users ;) these directions you can do almost without a computer,but youll need a cardreader to transfer the files to and from the sd card in order to flash them in hboot.

the post 3 directions are a lil more complex,but have been tested my myself and a couple others.im pretty comfortable wit them.

its up to you and your comfort level,but if youre sending the phone back anyway,youve not much to lose either way ;)

if you happend to have rooted the old skool way and have the 1.04.2000 eng hboot,all you need to do is flash the 2 files from the OP:
"no hboot" first
"hboot only" second
*very important to flash in the correct order

holler if you have any questions :)

Upvote 0
Would someone be willing to walking me through the unroot process without usb access.

I download everything, verify the md5 sum get through the command prompts till I get to the point where it wants to verify the

/data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0 checking the old eng hboot. this must output 6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb if it does not,STOP redownload,and start over.do not procede if it doesnt match

but the prompt says it's not found...what am I doing wrong...please help!!

THANKS

Upvote 0
are you able to copy/paste the rest of your cmd window? sicne your usb port isnt working,did you get the wifi app installed and working?

in order to see where the adb commands failed, we need to see the rest of the commands and the repsonses.

to tell what hboot version you have,you can turn of the "fastboot" setting in settings/power,then power off the phone. press and hold vol down,then power and hold both until you see hboot,wich is a white screen with colored letters.

let us know what it says at the top. if you rooted via revolutionary,it will be pretty obvious: youll see a the letters revolutionary across the top.

figuring out what hboot you have,may be the best next step. :)

Upvote 0
I have revolutionary. I did get the wifi app installed and connected just fine.

If I can get the PGom5 no boot file to complete a download I was thinking I may just try to flash that so I can at least get the phone to "look" stock and just leave it and take the risk when I send it back.

Is there a problem with just doing that rather then trying to mess with the wifi and all the other stuff if I just want the phone to look stock?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have revolutionary. I did get the wifi app installed and connected just fine.

If I can get the PGom5 no boot file to complete a download I was thinking I may just try to flash that so I can at least get the phone to "look" stock and just leave it and take the risk when I send it back.

Is there a problem with just doing that rather then trying to mess with the wifi and all the other stuff if I just want the phone to look stock?

Thanks!

with the revolutionary hboot in place,it is obviuos that you have modified the phone if they boot to hboot,and they could potentially try and charge you the full retail value of the phone.

since youre having trouble with adb,go ahead and try the directions in post 7. its just 3 different hboot flashes. just make sure you do them in the correct order :)

Upvote 0
the unroot method may change in the future,but for now i will leave it as is.

if you are running a permant patch hboot(revolutionary or shadowmite) and find yourself without a working touchscreen or usb port,fear not, you can still get back to full stock s-on.

download these files:

-the current "no_hboot" file from the OP.
-the current "hboot_only" file from the OP
-the downgrader hboot from here: www.mediafire.com/?koldajo4245f6v2

inside the zip,there is an md5 for the zip inside. make sure that you check it

once youve verified the integrity of the zip inside the download,the directions are simple:

1)rename the downgrader zip from inside the download to PG05IMG and flash in hboot. reboot
2)rename PG05IMG,and flash the "no_hboot" file. reboot
3)rename PG05IMG and flash the "hboot_only" file. you MUST FLASH IT LAST
*this is important*

is there a way to get the file to load without having to volume up? I can volume down but up doesn't work...

Upvote 0
so I followed all the directions and have tried this four times and this is what happens...what am I don't wrong?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Sarah>cd c:\mini-adb_tbolt2

c:\mini-adb_tbolt2>adb connect 192.168.1.3:5555
connected to 192.168.1.3:5555

c:\mini-adb_tbolt2>adb devices
List of devices attached
192.168.1.3:5555 device

c:\mini-adb_tbolt2>adb push busybox/data/local/
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26

-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
returns an error if more than one USB device is
present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
devices - list all connected devices
connect <host>:<port> - connect to a device via TCP/IP
disconnect <host>:<port> - disconnect from a TCP/IP device

device commands:
adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
(no option) - don't touch the data partition
-w - wipe the data partition
-d - flash the data partition

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
[parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
is updated.

c:\mini-adb_tbolt2>adb push hbooteng.nb0/data/local/
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26

-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
returns an error if more than one USB device is
present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
ith
the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
AL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
devices - list all connected devices
connect <host>:<port> - connect to a device via TCP/IP
disconnect <host>:<port> - disconnect from a TCP/IP device

device commands:
adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
nstall it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
(no option) - don't touch the data partition
-w - wipe the data partition
-d - flash the data partition

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
[parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
is updated.

c:\mini-adb_tbolt2>adb shell
# chmod 777/data/local/busybox
chmod 777/data/local/busybox
Usage: chmod <MODE> <FILE>
# /data/local/busybox md5sum/data/local/hbooteng.nb0
/data/local/busybox md5sum/data/local/hbooteng.nb0
/data/local/busybox: not found
#

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones