• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [TMobile] [MOD]App2External_SD (Fixed Duplicate files)

Thanks! I understand Link2SD works different than approach taken here. If Link2SD is the onlu option, then so be it, but I would like to see if someone can help me figure out this specific approach of swapping storages.
why would anyone want anything else but Link2SD coupled with FolderMount (for heavy directories like obb, downloads, etc)? i mean... the only reason to go through all this is to save a buck right? Link2SD, especially w/ it's newer abilities to remove app, cache, library etc to SD, just seems the better choice.

as far as root: towelroot.com, click, install, run - done. not trying to make this difficult just for kicks.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for your advice/suggestion, which has helped me become familiar with this this process and get it working.

However, I'm just wondering is this mod necessary? Why not just use Link2SD?

I know you have to root. Afterwards, why not just go straight to using Link2SD.

Link2SD even handles creating a startup script for you.

I guess I just don't get why this mod is necessary.

If you only use this "mod" you will get that error at some point . Keep using this mod and format your SD card into two partions(aparted from the playstore works) . One partion being fat32 and the other etx4 . Download and open link2sd it should say something about ext2,3,4 I believe, simply hit ext4 and it will ask to restart. Another fix is using the pressy4pie SD card hack but it was made in the metro section, not sure if it will work for T-Mobile

Hi Trevor, just a quick update. I got everything to work after following the instructions in the right order which you mentioned in one of your posts on the first page of this thread. Sorry I forgot about that when I kept retrying to get this to work.

1) Factory reset of the F6 including the microSD memory card.
2) Rooted the F6 following your instructions in this thread.
3) Followed the instructions in the first post of this thread. I did an additional step before step 12 to remove the ".txt" extension from the 11extsd2internalsd file so that I could treat it like a executable script.
4) Removed my 16gb microSD from the F6 before installing any apps and followed the Link2SD instructions except I selected ext4 as the file system for the second partition instead of ext2. Out of the 14.89gb of available space on the microSD card, I put 8gb on the FAT32 partition for media files and the remaining space (almost 7gb) on the other ext4 partition for apps. I know they say to only go up to 2gb for apps but I wanted more because I like to install a lot of apps. The 1.27gb of available internal space that I had with the F6 out of the box wasn't enough for the apps I wanted to install so I didn't think another 2gb would be enough.

After I did the above steps I didn't get any insufficient storage errors or the "Mount script error" in the Link2SD app.

These were some of the docs/steps I used:

Mini Tool Partition:
http://www.noypigeeks.com/android/tutorial-a-guide-to-link2sd/

Followed steps 1-11 for using the tool.

Followed steps 12-19 on that page on using Link2SD.

Aparted tool:
http://androidcreations.weebly.com/how-to-setup-link2sd.html

Upvote 0
Hello All:
This worked well but now have duplicate everything. Both the internal and external memory are at 29.27GB, but we know the internal (now external) is only 1.27GB.

I might start over with Titanium Backup, reset phone to factor defaults, reformat sdcard (fat32? or ext4?) and try again.

Has anybody tried this one?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.codlab.int2ext

It looks very similar...

Question: What is your Qwner/Group setting for 11extsd2internalsd

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just ordered my F6. If GT's guide is all you need, then what is the purpose of the mod listed on this thread(app2external_SD)? I'm just clueless and confused. I'm sure it serves a purpose.
Unless I'm mistaken, the point of Link2SD is to just transfer apps from your internal storage to your external SD card. This is fine for smaller files, but I don't think you'll be able to download/install those giant 3D games that are bigger than the free space available in your internal storage.You can't transfer the game if you can't fit it inside your internal storage first.

App2External_SD on the other hand directly downloads and installs new apps to into the external SD card. You also don't have to worry about making different partitions for media and apps. It all goes into one parition. If one day you find yourself needing a bigger partition for more apps using Link2SD , you're out of luck.

Reactions: 123m
Upvote 0
Okay, this whole thing is kind of confusing, but it does the main thing that I wanted it to do, which is to install large games from the play store on my 32gb sd card. It doesn't seem to install the random smaller apps on the sd card though. (so I was partially wrong in my post above)

Is the storage supposed to look like this?
jTYCkPs.png

When I click on apps, it looks like this. Note that the Used and Free space equals to the size of the internal storage (1.3gb) instead of my 32GB SD card even though all my apps total (2.7gb) is larger than 1.3gb. (I actually installed all my apps in to my internal storage before I installed this mod. The only thing new I added was those three large games at the top of the list.)
UFJf9nw.png

Here's how it looks in my computer
VQW8BKG.jpg

Basically, it looks like the internal and the external SD card storage is swapped. If you enter the SD card storage directory, everything inside looks like what my internal storage is supposed to look like. If you click on the internal storage directory, it looks my external SD Card storage with all my music and random stuff, in addition to a new android folder that contains a data and obb folder.

Here's how Lone Wolf looks like when you click on it on Apps.

D6yvpj3.png

Everything in the USB Storage app section is actually just an obb file that's i the Android/Obb folder in the actual external SD Card (that's called internal with this mod). The App section is installed somewhere in the actual internal storage (that's called external with the mod). I could move some of that app section to the actual external sd card with the "move to sd card" button, but not all of it like so. (notice that usb storage app got bigger)
cBjdMFQ.png

I then tried installing chrome with the mod on. It did not install in the actual external sd card. It installed in the actual internal storage. And the "move to SD card" thing that doesn't work for all apps.

NmhzuDk.png

TL;DR: This mod works great if all you want to do install is those large games with Obb files on your sd card that's impossible normally. The regular smaller apps continue to install in internal storage, but I'm okay with that because I think there's plenty of space in internal for those type of apps.

EDIT: read my next post

Upvote 0
Actually, that "move to sd card" feature actually works with a lot of apps by default. There's some apps that don't support it though.

But using this guide, I managed to use the "move to sd card" feature on those unsupported aps like chrome when it wasn't available before. (It moved most of it, but not all of it. Good enough though)

l9CWZuM.png

So yeah, I think I much prefer using this App2External_SD tweak combined with that "move to SD card" tweak I just linked over Link2SD because there's no headaches over how big you want your media partition and your apps partition to be.

EDIT: It wasn't mentioned in the guide I linked, but after you're done moving your apps to the sd card, make sure you put set-install-location 0 in the command prompt [0 is default] instead of set-install-location 2, otherwise you might get some insufficient space errors when installing new apps. You can put it back to 2 if you want to move apps to the sd card again.

Upvote 0
I liked all the scripts and for me everything was good until my 32gb sd card disappeared suddenly and got angry about what had happened. I don't know what happened. I had my LG optimus f6 rooted, and showing 32gb as internal memory everything was good. Can you help me out?
The sd car stop working in the phone and also in its adapter and i tested it in my girl phone and in a laptop and nothing.
The sd car was new. 4 Days only

Upvote 0
I liked all the scripts and for me everything was good until my 32gb sd card disappeared suddenly and got angry about what had happened. I don't know what happened. I had my LG optimus f6 rooted, and showing 32gb as internal memory everything was good. Can you help me out?
The sd car stop working in the phone and also in its adapter and i tested it in my girl phone and in a laptop and nothing.
The sd car was new. 4 Days only

If you have a Linux machine with an SDCard port, check out the partitions on it.
Plug the SD card into the machine and open up a terminal and type
dmesg
then see if it's even recognized as a device
You can then use the program
parted

On Windows, you can check it out by opening a CMD, typing
diskpart
then typing
list disk
to see if it's being recognized in the system.

It's either a partition issue or an SD card issue (defect, busted, etc)

Upvote 0
When i download the file from step 7 do i copy it to sd card then delete from internal storage? Or keep both? In step 8 when i copy it do i delete it from sd card? Idk its not working for me and in step 12 i dont see that option. Help? Is there some way i can just download the game on the computer and move it to my sd card and play it?

Upvote 0
I followed all the steps before these and "verified" 11extsd2internal.apk

I'm having mucho problems as when I copy and try to paste in Smanager I get "permission denied" even after I granted ROOT.

8) Open Root Browser and copy 11extsd2internalsd and paste it /system/etc/init.d folder
that didn't work for me, I had to many problems seeing what went where.

9) Hold click 11extsd2internalsd and set permissions and make sure everything is checked as far as Read, Write, and Execute
I installed RootToolBox free and did the above step with ease. No problems when tiring to paste and didn't get "permissions denied."

10) Download Smanager from the google play store and open and allow with root access
11) Go to /system/etc/init.d and click on 11extsd2internalsd

12) Click at the top where it has Su and Boot and hit save and then exit

13) Reboot your device and your all done!
the newest version SManager doesn't have Su and Boot at top of app NOR
For the seeing impaired I couldn't do any of that coping and pasting...NOR get to /system/etc...... Might be the upgraded version.

So tried RootToolBox free and set all permissions to r/w
and
rebooted
and
checked storage/ and "Internal Storage" was still 1.27 GB

Does the external Sd have to be partitioned?

Thanks for your hard work and support!

Upvote 0
Hello, just a quick question, but first my back story:
I have LG Optimus F6 (MetroPCS version) that I'm using on T-mobile's network. I used towelroot to root, installed SUperuser, partitioned 32gb in half (half as fat32 and half as ext4), installed Link2sd, paid for pro version for the "move data" feature, and began the task of removing bloatware and installing new apps and moving/linking them to SD. Now my question...
After completing my process above, is it safe to install this mod even though I've already set up and started using Link2sd?
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
This always happens to me, register to forum to ask a question and end up answering it myself...
Sorry for double posting, but i didn't see an edit button.

It seems the Chrome Beta app i was using to download 11extsd2internalsd from mediafire was giving me a corrupt file. I was able to download the correct-uncorrupted file using UCBrowser instead. After replacing with the new file, a reboot gave me 14 gb internal. Awesome.
A: Yes it is safe to use this mod after link2sd has been implemented.

So maybe the back story for using Chrome Beta...
I was using Link2sd to replace the old system/apps/*.apk with the updated apk but then Chrome disappeared - and i received the insufficient space error when i tried to install it again from the play store. I had to install the Beta so i could use Chrome again.
TIL not to use Link2sd to replace outdated apk files in system/apps, and also using Chrome Beta to download from Mediafire spits out corrupt files.
Have fun.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones