• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Traditional Voicemail for LG Mach

larrystotler

Lurker
Sep 19, 2011
I just recently picked up the LG Mach with the Boost $35 promotion. The phone is definitely an upgrade over my Kyocera Rise in many ways. However......

The Mach is rooted(as is the Rise).

The Visual Voicemail app just plain sucks. I've removed it but now I can't get notified that I have voicemails. I found a file called "TraditionalVM.apk" in the system/app folder but when I try to install it I get a message saying it wasn't installed. Doesn't matter how I do it. I've got the option to install from unknown sources enabled.(one of the first things I trashed was MobileID as well which I find useless).

I tried to find the app on the Rise but I can't find it at all - I have no idea what it's named. All it does is show that I have a VM in the notification area. When I click on it it dials VM. That's what I want. When I look in the play store all I find is more garbage.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, the Rise has an ICE app(for In Case of Emergency) that has an option on the lock screen. I installed an ICE app from the play store but there was no option on the lock screen. So it wasn't useful to say the least.

Very frustrating! These phones both use 4.0.4 but are way different in how they work.

I just recently picked up the LG Mach with the Boost $35 promotion. The phone is definitely an upgrade over my Kyocera Rise in many ways. However......The Visual Voicemail app just plain sucks. I've removed it but now I can't get notified that I have voicemails.

First of all welcome to the mach side of the forums.

The Visual Voicemail app just plain sucks. I've removed it but now I can't get notified that I have voicemails.
Secondly, you shouldn't of removed it after your first month it will ask if you want to renew the subscription you say no and then the phone will call your voice mail directly when you hit it, but even at that i dont understand why you dont like it yes it doesnt translate to text well but you can hit the play button to listen to it without going through all your voicemails to retrieve that one bit of info you saved, in my opinion its faster than calling.

I found a file called "TraditionalVM.apk" in the system/app folder but when I try to install it I get a message saying it wasn't installed. Doesn't matter how I do it. I've got the option to install from unknown sources enabled.(one of the first things I trashed was MobileID as well which I find useless).

Third, if you reboot your phone it auto installs things in the system/app folder so no need to click it and try to install it it will always fail because system/app is write protected. but if you dont know what your doing then i wouldn't mess around too much it is a good way to brick your phone we dont have a way to restore this phone yet and if you dont have insurance all you have is a paperweight.

Also, the Rise has an ICE app(for In Case of Emergency) that has an option on the lock screen. I installed an ICE app from the play store but there was no option on the lock screen. So it wasn't useful to say the least.

Very frustrating! These phones both use 4.0.4 but are way different in how they work.

Lastly, this is the worst phone to start doing any tinkering on if you dont know what your doing LG rarely releases codes to devs witch makes it where we can unlock the phone and start working on recovery and backup methods aswell as roms for the phone, with that being said LG pretty much keeps their stuff on lock down so not all lock screen apps are cross compatible.

I hope i helped.

P.S. if you need the voicemail app for your phone ( the one you deleted) ill be happy to pull it from mine to send to you.

Upvote 0
Secondly, you shouldn't of removed it after your first month it will ask if you want to renew the subscription you say no and then the phone will call your voice mail directly when you hit it, but even at that i dont understand why you dont like it yes it doesnt translate to text well but you can hit the play button to listen to it without going through all your voicemails to retrieve that one bit of info you saved, in my opinion its faster than calling.

Thanks for the welcome. As for the app, it just plain sucks. I had a hard time understanding any VM I got on it. The sound quaility was just horrible. And the unwanted free trail(which I never agreed to) of the transcription was definitely useless.

Further, with unlimited minutes, it doesn't really save me anything. Maybe if the app worked halfway it would.....

Third, if you reboot your phone it auto installs things in the system/app folder so no need to click it and try to install it it will always fail because system/app is write protected. but if you dont know what your doing then i wouldn't mess around too much it is a good way to brick your phone we dont have a way to restore this phone yet and if you dont have insurance all you have is a paperweight.

I realize that it's write protected. I also have ES File Explorer & I mounted it as writable with the same results. Not installed..... I even copied the apk to the sdcard & tried to install but get the same thing. Next step is to copy it to the Rise & see if it will install.

I have rooted every phone I have owned as well as many others. The only time I had to flash a phone back to factory was with my Samsung Intercept & that was only because I didn't back anything up & deleted the wrong thing by accident.

I flashed my Nook Tablet to Cyanogenmod as soon as I got it. I'm also a Linux guy who's been using it as his main system for 15+ years. I appreciate the warning tho.

Lastly, this is the worst phone to start doing any tinkering on if you dont know what your doing LG rarely releases codes to devs witch makes it where we can unlock the phone and start working on recovery and backup methods aswell as roms for the phone, with that being said LG pretty much keeps their stuff on lock down so not all lock screen apps are cross compatible.

Yeah. I might have to do some more playing with it. While I understand that companies like to be able to differentiate their products, change for the sake of change is a PITA. That's why I use TrinityDE instead of KDE4. No compelling reason to use that "upgrade" when what I have does what I need just fine.

P.S. if you need the voicemail app for your phone ( the one you deleted) ill be happy to pull it from mine to send to you.

I used NoBloatFree to backup & remove it so it's still available. I would just prefer to find a decent replacement but everything I have found is like the visual voicemail app & not just a regular voicemail notify app...... Oh well.

Upvote 0
As for the app, it just plain sucks. I had a hard time understanding any VM I got on it. The sound quaility was just horrible. And the unwanted free trail(which I never agreed to) of the transcription was definitely useless.

Further, with unlimited minutes, it doesn't really save me anything. Maybe if the app worked halfway it would.....

idk i kinda liked it but to each their own lol, i only paid one month after the trial and i was like yah i dont want it anymore but apparently i still get to use it without being charged for it and it updates for free and says i have premium but its not showing up on my bill XD

I have rooted every phone I have owned as well as many others. The only time I had to flash a phone back to factory was with my Samsung Intercept & that was only because I didn't back anything up & deleted the wrong thing by accident.

I flashed my Nook Tablet to Cyanogenmod as soon as I got it. I'm also a Linux guy who's been using it as his main system for 15+ years. I appreciate the warning tho.

alright i just went off your post amount on the forum and i thought you were newish to the android rooting scene sorry for the misunderstanding on your knowledge lol

Yeah. I might have to do some more playing with it. While I understand that companies like to be able to differentiate their products, change for the sake of change is a PITA. That's why I use TrinityDE instead of KDE4. No compelling reason to use that "upgrade" when what I have does what I need just fine.

I used NoBloatFree to backup & remove it so it's still available. I would just prefer to find a decent replacement but everything I have found is like the visual voicemail app & not just a regular voicemail notify app...... Oh well.

i wanna wish you luck on playing around with it trying to get it to do what you want to and cool at least some others know how to backup around here LOL i forget sometimes.....

Upvote 0
idk i kinda liked it but to each their own lol, i only paid one month after the trial and i was like yah i dont want it anymore but apparently i still get to use it without being charged for it and it updates for free and says i have premium but its not showing up on my bill XD

Nothing wrong with that. I like free. I didn't mind paying $180 for the phone when I will save $$ in the long run. Plus the screen is so much better than the Rise. My son has a Galaxy S3 & even he said it's almost as good as his phone.(just smaller)

alright i just went off your post amount on the forum and i thought you were newish to the android rooting scene sorry for the misunderstanding on your knowledge lol

I usually can do what I need without asking but when I get stumped I ask. I had a heck of a time flashing my Nook Tablet but it's all good now. CM 10.2.1/JB 4.3.x. The screen has a blurry issue but I just use it for watching movies so no problems.

i wanna wish you luck on playing around with it trying to get it to do what you want to and cool at least some others know how to backup around here LOL i forget sometimes.....

I have a cartoon on my wall that shows someone on the line with tech support. The guy on the phone asked if he had backed up. The next frame shows the caller against the wall looking at the computer & asking the tech if it's gonna blow........

Upvote 0
I have a cartoon on my wall that shows someone on the line with tech support. The guy on the phone asked if he had backed up. The next frame shows the caller against the wall looking at the computer & asking the tech if it's gonna blow........

LOL thats great, btw ive done some reasurce on the voicemail app apparently it doesnt update just gives a error message the reason i looked into it is because i remember my sister's back up phone (a samsung galaxy rush} came in the mail and i restored it to factory and the app updated and it looks blue totally different from ours ill show the 2 below, so apparently it doesnt update witch means that's why the quality is shit im doing more resarch with it thats probably why mine isnt charging me on my bill and see if we can update it to be better than what it was

EDIT: i got them to upload the one on the left is old the right the new all i did was pull the apk from my sisters phone to the mach and installed the update that way still says i have premium but when i try to update i get an error but lets see how much better it is ill get back with u tomorrow after i have someone leave me a voice mail
umeherer.jpg
zusatebe.jpg

Upvote 0
Well I've done some more digging & I've found out that Sprint/Boost/Virgin evidently no longer supports the standard MWI (Message Waiting Indicator). So, while my Rise had that the new phone I have doesn't. I installed Voicemail Notifier via a linkI found (didn't realize you are supposed to pay 99 cents for it) , which claims it is supposed to restore this but it didn't work. I have no idea if it was because I didn't pay for it or not, but after reading the reviews, I removed it because evidently the author doesn't respond - not going to pay for something that doesn't work.

Not sure what else to do. I've tried a couple of different apps, but if they are disabling MWI on new accounts I'm probably screwed. I don't want to call Boost because I'm sure I will get a clueless tech or someone who will figure out I rooted my phone - and that's a can of worms I don't want to open.

Upvote 0
Wow. Boost tech support is about useless. All I got was an email telling me how to unsubscribe from the Visual Voicemail trial.

I re-enabled the app. At least it now tells me I have a voicemail. However, it still copies the voicemail to my phone. & I can't half understand anything being said when I play the voicemail through the app.

However, I have to go through a bunch of hoops to call & check my voicemail. With my Rise, when I selected the notification, it automatically called the voicemail system. Now I have to exit the app, and then load the phone app, and then call the voicemail #.

How stupid is that? Some people may love things like that app, or having their voicemails transcribed, but I don't. I MIGHT see a use for it if I didn't have unlimited minutes, or spotty service. Or if the app actually worked decently.

I thought about installing Google Voice. I hear its better. I just get frustrated when people change something & it isn't an improvement, but a regression. Like Vista or Win8. Or KDE4 on Linux.

Ok, done ranting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones