• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trouble Unlocking Verizon LG G5 VS987

VaughnLT

Lurker
Aug 28, 2020
A recent "security" update left my Verizon LG G5 VS987 in an unworkable state. It no longer knows its IMEI number and thus cannot recognize the SIM card. I've recovered the IMEI from the inside back cover but can't figure out how to restore it. LG wants $40+ to fix it, which I'm not inclined to do since it was LG's unreliable update that messed up the phone in the first place. I decided to root it, since it is old and the warranty is long expired. So far I've done the following:
1. I've turned on Developer mode and USB debug mode but there is no OEM Unlock option as the instructions on You-tube say.
2. I looked on unlock site androidbiits.com. I don't mind paying them $11 for an unlock code (assuming they're legit) but I don't see US Verizon on the carrier list for ordering the code.
Am I out of luck? I love my LG but this was a reconditioned phone I bought for just $110. I'd rather buy something else than pay half of that amount to LG to fix it.
BTW I also have a T-Mobile LG G5 with a broken screen. I switched carriers when I ordered the replacement. I know these are pretty modular but I since that is a GSM phone I probably can't cobble together a working Verizon phone out of both of them, can I?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet and MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones