• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

turn off phone charging automatically?

Odd Rain

Apr 13, 2012
I have an app (accubattery) that can sound an alarm when the phone battery is charged to a certain level (e.g. 60%). But it cannot turn off charging. I have to unplug the charger. But sometimes I miss the alarm (e.g. left the room) and the battery ended up fully charged.

Is there a way to do this automatically? Is there some battery app that can send a trigger to an automation app like IFTTT, which can be programmed to turn off a smart plug the phone charger is plugged into?

I have an app (accubattery) that can sound an alarm when the phone battery is charged to a certain level (e.g. 60%). But it cannot turn off charging. I have to unplug the charger. But sometimes I miss the alarm (e.g. left the room) and the battery ended up fully charged.
Is there a way to do this automatically? Is there some battery app that can send a trigger to an automation app like IFTTT, which can be programmed to turn off a smart plug the phone charger is plugged into?

Upvote 0
I was searching for this and messed my head so much to build such a device which can actually turn off the charger when the battery hits 95%. So my plan was to set an alarm after 2 hours from the charger plugged in. When the alarm will ring I will use a sound detector to turn on a motor which will manually turn off the switch of the charger. It was my plan and I will built it one day.

Upvote 0
The solution I use is similar to the first suggested solution. I plug the charger into a countdown shutoff timer that is set to 20 minutes and my target charge is 50%. Usually after 20 minutes the phone is near 50%. If it's way below, I start the timer again. If it goes above 50%, accubattery sounds an alarm and if I'm nearby I unplug the phone. If not, it may charge to 60%, which is still ok.

Not very accurate or very automatic, but good enough. The phone is now 2 years old and there is no noticeable deterioration of the battery :)

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i see no need for these type of apps or solutions. lithium-ion batteries are designed to last 3-4 years......so yes in the 3rd and 4th year you will most definitely see a drop in battery life or might have charging issues. however for me, i usually get a new phone by then. this way i can play with my phone any way i please and not have to worry about battery life down the road. all this charging to 50% for 20 minutes or having an app monitor and send an alarm when it gets to a certain battery % is just non sense and a waste of time for me. i am a power user. i use my phone to play games stream and i need it for gps all thru the course of an average work day. at the end of the day all i do is set it on my charger in the evening before i go to bed and go to sleep. i wake the next morning and rinse and repeat.

.....but hey, if it works for you and you do not mind the added worry and stress then be my guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones