• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root (TUT) Use DFS to change your prl.

wetbiker7

Extreme Android User
Jun 27, 2011
So-Cal
Ok People. I was asked to do this for the Marquee so here it is.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone who changes their prl has good results. Many people have reported worse reception.

Thanks to Aenoch for the original TUT. Some of the text are his and others I have modified.

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POST WITH PICS IF YOU NEED THEM:

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...ur-msl-prl-not-cdma-workshop.html#post4232529

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING THE LINK ABOVE WITH THE PICS IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT TABS TO SELECT!!

You will need to be on a stock based ROM for this to work. It has been tested and works on Megatron 6.1

NOTE: The original pics are from a ZTE handset. Yours will read the info for the Marquee.

Download CDMA Tool DFS software. Download CDMA Tool DFS software.

1st you are gonna open DFS and wait for the countdown to finish.

Click on the port button and look for LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port and double click it once there's a green circle next to it its activated.

Find the SPC box and type in your MSL code
Click the blue circle next to the word SPC to send the unlock code

If you entered it correctly you will see the info for your Marquee on the log
window

Locate the nam tab

Now its time to backup your original prl in case one of the flashed prl's cause you to completely lose signal as to where you cant update prl from the phone its self.
Click the blue button labeled read under the prl section.
Once your prl shows up in between the box above the read/write buttons and the world enabled, click save and save it someplace safe.

Now that's out of the way its time to flash a prl to your handset.

Ether put all of your downloaded .prl's into the prl folder located in the DFS installation folder. (this allows them to show up under the local tab in the prl area). or just click the load button and navigate to where you downloaded them.

Once you have the prl that you want to flash loaded click the red write button to flash it to your phone.

If everything went ok every thing in list will say ok.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
The final step is to reboot your phone click the reset button at the top if you don't reset you will not have a signal at all.

Once your phone has rebooted, go into settings/about phone/status and check to see if your prl has changed.

HERE IS A VIDEO TUT I MADE THAT WILL HELP OUT A LITTLE. PLEASE EXCUSE THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO.LOL. AT LEAST IT'LL HELP GUIDE YOU THROUGH THE PROCESS.:p IT'S VERY EASY!!

Thanks for this thread biker it all looks good and very well explained. PRL 31103 is working fine for me now. There was a tower outage in my area but I know this will come in handy for a lot of people. Thanks again for your work

You're welcome bro. A lot of the credit goes to Aenoch though. I just modified it a little and made the video. Glad it helped you out. :D

Reactions: bestrooted
Upvote 0
The video is great - makes the whole process comprehensible! Thanks, Biker!

In this thread: Can you update prl running CT Mod? you said the PRL can be updated through the ROM ...what's the advantage to this method? Backing up a step, how would I know when it's time to update the PRL, and whether there's a better PRL for my Ting service? Thanks!!!

Update PRL through the handset

Yes, the PRL can be updated through the ROM. All you need to do is go to settings/about phone/System updates. There you will see 4 options. The only 2 you will need are Update PRL and Update Profile. LEAVE THE OTHER 2 ALONE!! lol

To check and see if you have an available PRL update, select Update PRL and let it go through it's process. Make sure that you have a good, strong signal before trying it or the update may fail. If there is an update, it will let you know that your PRL has been updated. It is also a good idea to Update your profile too after updating the PRL.

Please note that updating these can take a few minutes sometimes so just let it go through the process.

The DFS Method

The DFS method is used to manually force a PRL change. Sometimes when updating a PRL through your phone settings, you will lose the PRL entirely and your phone will be without service. It has happened to quite a few of our members here and it is not a nice position to find yourself in.. The DFS method allows you to go in, add your PRL back, and restore service.

The DFS method can also be used to change your PRL to many of the other Sprint/Boost PRL's that are out there. Many members, including myself, have seen signal improvement when changing to a different PRL other than stock.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer or help point you in the right direction if need be. :)

Reactions: mnwaterbug
Upvote 0
Update PRL through the handset

Yes, the PRL can be updated through the ROM. All you need to do is go to settings/about phone/System updates. There you will see 4 options. The only 2 you will need are Update PRL and Update Profile. LEAVE THE OTHER 2 ALONE!! lol
:)

So if Nothing happens when I hit "update PRL" that means that none are available? (I'm on Megatron ROM if that makes any difference)

Upvote 0
So if Nothing happens when I hit "update PRL" that means that none are available? (I'm on Megatron ROM if that makes any difference)

Mine will say it's checking for one most of the time even if it doesn't update. It will then say that there is no prl update available or If it updated, it will say my prl has been updated.

I'm on Boost so I'm not sure what Sprint or Ting users will see. The good thing about using DFS is you can change it even if your's doesn't update.

What does it do when you update your profile? If you haven't done that, give it a try and then try updating the prl. :)

Just keep in mind that not everyone who changes their prl has good results. Many people have reported worse reception. As a matter of fact, I'm going to add this to the OP. lol

Upvote 0
Mine will say it's checking for one most of the time even if it doesn't update. It will then say that there is no prl update available or If it updated, it will say my prl has been updated.

I'm on Boost so I'm not sure what Sprint or Ting users will see. The good thing about using DFS is you can change it even if your's doesn't update.

What does it do when you update your profile? If you haven't done that, give it a try and then try updating the prl. :)

Just keep in mind that not everyone who changes their prl has good results. Many people have reported worse reception. As a matter of fact, I'm going to add this to the OP. lol

Weird. I guess I should do it by DFS since my phone seems oblivious to the fact that I am hitting the update button. Oh well, I guess it's safer to do it that way anyway. I just find it odd that I can't get any reaction from hitting the update PRL button or the update Profile buttons.

Upvote 0
woUld prl be the reason my hotspot is not working anymore? i try to tUrn on stock hotspot and it says error Under tUrn on hotspot, not error 67 or whatever jUst error, i try to tUrn on google play tethers and a network does not even show Up...

I have never been able to get it to work. You can get a app from the market Wireless tether for root users .

Upvote 0
Just a couple quick questions. I have a 3G device, and I know that most, if not all of the 4GLTE devices are using the 31103 prl, what would happen if I used that prl for my 3G device? And where do you find the newest prls, I guess they would be Sprint prls?

That is the new prl that most all phones are using now if the user has updated their prl. . 3g and 4g phones both. As for finding different prl's like corporate, just use Google and search for Sprint prl's. The prl makes no difference for 3g or 4g, the phone does that.

Earlier posts in this thread state that the prl you are inquiring about is being used by Marquee owners. Take a minute and read the whole thread. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
This thread is missing steps such as:

Where to download the PRLs.

How to get your MSL code

FYI, you don't need your msl code to use this. Did you see me enter one in the video I made ? NO.

You must also be running a stock based ROM such as Megatron, Marky Beats, etc. You cannot use this if you are running CTMOD.

As for the prls ... Use Google. That's how I find them.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones