• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help TV Station here: Can a TV box be locked to single channel?

Ted Bragg

Lurker
Mar 24, 2017
Hi all,

I'm the owner of Clear Lake TV, a hyperlocal station south of Houston. We're trying to determine how to make our IPTV roll out as easy and inexpensive as possible, especially for the hotels, restaurants and local seniors who will be watching.

CLTV can stream to Android boxes with our app, but we'd like to cripple the boxes so that when you turn one on, all it does is start up and plays our stream, and ONLY our stream. No menus, no configuration, nothing. Just plug it in, turn it on and presto, CLTV. A seriously limited whitebox solution, if you will.

First of all, can this be done with the inexpensive tv boxes? If not, is there a front-end we can install on them to limit interaction? In my years as an IT help desk tech, I learned the hard way that the less the end user has to do, the better. People aren't stupid, just overwhelmed. We want our channel to be easy to watch every step of the way.

Reactions: hembreeb

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones