• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
https://www.xda-developers.com/twrp-released-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s8-exynos-variant/

Unless the XZ Premium wows in reviews or HTC does something amazing with the U11, this pretty much confirms the S8+ as my next phone! :)
There's a lot to critique about the S8+, but at the end of the day the screen size, price(for a flagship), support for the latest Tmo technology, & Samsung Pay tilt the deal.
I can't believe what I'm about to do... not only will this be my first flagship buy, but also only a holdover - until the next Note.

Too bad LG, with its proclivity for removable battery, doesn't have a viable alternative.

Upvote 0
@horsecharles, in light of the subject of this thread I have to note that (a) this TWRP build is only for the Exynos model, whereas in the US you will have the s835 one, and (b) I believe that rooting, the obvious use for TWRP, will kill Samsung Pay (unless there is a successful way of hiding root from it).

Of course there's nothing in your post that's root related, it's just that the thread sort of is ;).

Upvote 0
Are you normally a Samsung guy?

I'm not a fan normally, but I bought the Tab A 10.1 at Xmas and have been pretty impressed with it. My wife has the S7 and she doesn't have any complaints either.
Not a brand person. Have been stuck with Metro grandfathered plan and its lack of freedom of choice... time to give Teltik a chance.
Size is a big attraction... helps to get work done on it instead of @ tablet/laptop(and stashing docking stations in various places would also help) so is support for the latest Tmo network advancements when on the road/@weak signal, or at least can't hurt(can already hear the rebuttals).
Removable battery and storage over 64gb would be icing on the cake.

Upvote 0
@horsecharles, in light of the subject of this thread I have to note that (a) this TWRP build is only for the Exynos model, whereas in the US you will have the s835 one, and (b) I believe that rooting, the obvious use for TWRP, will kill Samsung Pay (unless there is a successful way of hiding root from it).

Of course there's nothing in your post that's root related, it's just that the thread sort of is ;).
I'm totally lost since the forum changeover.
(on Android)
In fact, it seemed like Rooting had been done away with... everything merged...i was actually bemoaning this .
So Rooting n Samsung Pay notwithstanding, I'm also on the wrong model /geographical area... that's really pathetic. Thankfully I didn't also troll.

Upvote 0
I'm totally lost since the forum changeover.
(on Android)
In fact, it seemed like Rooting had been done away with... everything merged...i was actually bemoaning this .
So Rooting n Samsung Pay notwithstanding, I'm also on the wrong model /geographical area... that's really pathetic. Thankfully I didn't also troll.
It's not that rooting has been done away with, but we no longer have separate root subforums. I think it's possible to tag threads as root related though, which lets people filter on those.

I'm impressed that people have got ROMs on the Exynos version already. I remember pre-release there were concerns that the new "security module" Samsung has talked about might have made this trickier. For the Snapdragons the only problems should be customers (*) asking Samsung to lock the phones up hard, but I have the impression that can be quite a problem. Hopefully a solution for our cousins across the pond will follow shortly :).

(*) the carriers are Samsung's customers, rather than the people who buy phones from the carriers.

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones