• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

U.S. Coast Guard Bootcamp

The reversion part gave me a flash back of air force basic training. We were going through our final inspection before graduation. The day before the inspection we lined up and circle through several times with service member checking each other's locker to make sure everything was absolutely perfect.
I had already passed everything else. There was the final inspection and then two days later graduation. So the drill sergeants come through and their checking our lockers and a Drill sergeant picks up my flash light clicked it on and it went dark o_O the batteries gave out.
The sergeant look at me and said your being recycled pack your stuff. I was absolutely crushed. I can't remember if I the recycle was for one or two weeks. All I know is for the recycled period all I did was door sentry duty. I stood guard at the door and various people would come up flash a card, white, blue , black and green and if they had the right card you let them in. I think the black or white card meant full access. If they presented the wrong card you didn't let them in. One day I was at the door and this sergeant walks up without showing a card tells me to open the door and I said I needed to see his card , this led to a ten minute back and forth with him finally telling me that he would break down the door to gain access and I responded with if he did so I would beat the living you know what out of him and throw him back into the hallway and would still require him to show me the correct card . We had a long stare down and then he flash me the right card . He turned out to be pretty cool :cool: .
He told me a tale of a prank they pulled on a recruit where they had the recruit do special duty at some door. They came in from some other way and had this recruit stand at this door. They were told access to this area required some weird color card . Several people come including an officer demanding access and are denied. Finally this sergeant comes wanting to get in and won't show the right card. The sergeant suddenly grabbed the door and pulled it free, turned it stepped into the room and gave it to the recruit to hold . The sergeant I was with told me that the other recruit nearly passed out .
I later learned that the sergeant that I had dealt with and been doing some final inspection drill for the flight I had been recycled back too. I had passed with flying colors and that the flight or group I was with wouldn't be tested again.
I learned from some recruits a couple of guys had given access to people when presented the wrong card and had been recycled from week four or five back to week 1

The one thing I'll never forget about bootcamp was this kid from Louisiana. He told all of us how physically fit he was, and would make us all look stupid physically. During the 2nd week he wasn't running in the morning on the grinder. He told us it was a knee injury and had a medical chit from the infirmary.

Later that night around 2am I woke up to a noise. I looked and there was this kid from Louisiana pounding on his knee as hard as he could with his fist. Self-inflicted knee injury. He got a discharge, medical discharge I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones