• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unbricking/Unroot/Return to Stock LG Spirit 4G

Wow wow wow! I was on the Android Forums home page and this thread came up. What a blast from the past! I had a lot of fun making roms and kernels for this phone (good memories).

Fun facts:
At the time of this phone's release, forum member djrbliss was practically the king of creating root exploits for various android devices.

Forum member and dev PlayfulGod contacted djrbliss about rooting this phone which he did not own, so djrbliss remotely connected to another members phone and literally exploited it within 5 minutes and posted a root zip for us.

If only things were still that simple. The good ol days. :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Probably no one reply but it's worth a try I think broke my device
I managed to follow the instruction to a tea (to the best of my ability since some links are dead)
First I was able to enter in download mode and the uploading went smooth for a second or two
However, after an error occurred with the flashing software my device was completely bricked it only showed the missing battery icon (when I removed the battery and pushed the up button + power button)
I'm letting it charge overnight however I don't even know if its actually charging since I have no led

Upvote 0
Probably no one reply but it's worth a try I think broke my device
I managed to follow the instruction to a tea (to the best of my ability since some links are dead)
First I was able to enter in download mode and the uploading went smooth for a second or two
However, after an error occurred with the flashing software my device was completely bricked it only showed the missing battery icon (when I removed the battery and pushed the up button + power button)
I'm letting it charge overnight however I don't even know if its actually charging since I have no led
what error? what did it say? can you explain in more detail what happened?

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
from the op:

did you try this?
Thanks for the disponibility
I tried it however now it seems truly dead
Now it doesn't show anything...

I can only get an image on the screen if I remove the battery and try to power it on (therefore showing an interrogation mark )
And I can hear my windows machine recognizing the phone (when I plug it in into the USB port )

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for the disponibility
I tried it however now it seems truly dead
Now it doesn't show anything...

I can only get an image on the screen if I remove the battery and try to power it on (therefore showing an interrogation mark )
And I can hear my windows machine recognizing the phone (when I plug it in into the USB port )

I also can read some information about the phone in the flash tool app

Upvote 0
are you sure you used the right firmware update for your phone? it has to be exactly the right firmware specifically for your device. any other firmware will not work. the one's listed in the op the links do not work. so where did you get the firmware?
I had to introduce my imei number on this website : https://www.imei.info/?imei=358819060710606
On the section of free checks, I clicked on the first link
And than clicked again and a download button was at the bottom of the page

Upvote 0
I had to introduce my imei number on this website : https://www.imei.info/?imei=358819060710606
On the section of free checks, I clicked on the first link
And than clicked again and a download button was at the bottom of the page
Hmmm not familiar with the site.....but i think i have exhausted my knowledge of lg phones. not exactly sure what you can do. if you can find another firmware update for your phone, i would try that.....other than that, not sure what else you can do.

maybe someone else here more familiar with lg phones can help out.

Upvote 0
Im not an expert on LG's but it sounds to me like a dm-verity type issue. Perhaps the "hash" is corrupt. I know after downloading a rom or an official firmware for my Samsung's , I check the validity with an Md5 sum checker (hash tag checker). If the numbers don't match I know my download is corrupt.

https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/verified-boot

I also read that laf.img and boot.img using adb will restore your recovery but I can't confirm since I have never had an LG.

Upvote 0
Im not an expert on LG's but it sounds to me like a dm-verity type issue. Perhaps the "hash" is corrupt. I know after downloading a rom or an official firmware for my Samsung's , I check the validity with an Md5 sum checker (hash tag checker). If the numbers don't match I know my download is corrupt.

https://source.android.com/security/verifiedboot/verified-boot

I also read that laf.img and boot.img using adb will restore your recovery but I can't confirm since I have never had an LG.

Thanks for the reply
So if I understood correctly I should check the hash with the has tag checker, correct?
However I have not a hash to check with, would you pls elaborate a bit?

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply
So if I understood correctly I should check the hash with the has tag checker, correct?
However I have not a hash to check with, would you pls elaborate a bit?

Try something like this apk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=leonidpeter.hashstamp

Look for something like Md5 or hash tag where you download the firmware. This is an example of a rom that is available for my device. See the md5 ? I copy and past that to my Md5 (hash tag) checker and confirm the the validity of my download. If they dont match, I know my download is corrupted.

Screenshot_2020-06-07-11-45-53.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try something like this apk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=leonidpeter.hashstamp

Look for something like Md5 or hash tag where you download the firmware. Thus is an example of a rom that is available for my device. See the md5 ? I copy and past that to my Md5 (hash tag) checker and confirm the the validity of my download. If they dont match, I know my download is corrupted.

View attachment 151257
Unfortunately, I think the website I used did not have a hash number,therefore I can't compare it,sorry

Upvote 0
I use a different Md5 checker that is no longer available on Google PS. I just place my download in the provided slot (parh), then I press calculate and the results appear (2nd image), next copy past the Md5 from the site to the slot maked compare and press the compare function (3rd image). Its a match then the download is valid.

Screenshot_2020-06-07-13-35-07.png

Screenshot_2020-06-07-13-37-27.png

Screenshot_2020-06-07-13-45-03.png

If they indeed match at least you can rule out that as a possibility cause. If they don't then you know why your are experiencing an error.

Upvote 0
I use a different Md5 checker that is no longer available on Google PS. I just place my download in the provided slot (parh), then I press calculate and the results appear (2nd image), next copy past the Md5 from the site to the slot maked compare and press the compare function (3rd image). Its a match then the download is valid.

If they indeed match at least you can rule out that as a possibility cause. If they don't then you know why your are experiencing an error.
Unfortunately, I don't have a phone nearby
So what I did was download the firmware again and compare the two
It passed the check (so now either both are corrupted or both are fine)
I can't compare it against the hash of the phone since it doesn't even turn on

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I don't have a phone nearby
So what I did was download the firmware again and compare the two
It passed the check (so now either both are corrupted or both are fine)
I can't compare it against the hash of the phone since it doesn't even turn on
I'm sorry for the late reply and thanks to everyone

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I also downloaded the firmware from other website and it seems identical the md5 is the same and even the size is precisely the same
However, don't know what black magic happened, every time I try to reflash my phone it doesn't even go on download mode appearing like a complete brick
On other "news" the program I was using doesn't seem to like the file now, saying something like error decompressing and than crashing immediately after

Upvote 0
I also downloaded the firmware from other website and it seems identical the md5 is the same and even the size is precisely the same
However, don't know what black magic happened, every time I try to reflash my phone it doesn't even go on download mode appearing like a complete brick
On other "news" the program I was using doesn't seem to like the file now, saying something like error decompressing and than crashing immediately after
* firmware file ,my bad

Upvote 0
Sorry for flooding the forum with posts however I can't stop after I start xd
I tried downloading another flash tool however this one was so weird
The design was the same however when I clicked to start it appeared a Korean page with a bunch of ?????
I figured out that ??? - was cancel and ?? '- was okay or ignore the problem
However this app crashed a while after when trying to contact the server (probably dead by now)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones