• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocked Phone Update

MD0038

Lurker
Jun 8, 2013
Hi
I dnt knw if its the right place if not am sorry
But i have this query
I found this unlocked phone of Uk for sale in india
"Sony xperia P"
They are selling it under 1 yr seller warranty
My question is
1-If i buy the will i be able to update it the normal way
or i have to download the firmware of specific carrier and update the firmware
2-If i update by odin will i lose the unlocked status.
Need a quick reply since i have to make decision quickly
Advance thanks.....

2) AFAIK provided the phone was supplied new unlocked, using Odin should not lock it. SIM locking is something that the manufacturers do on phones that are supplied by carriers, subsidized on a contract.

if i update with odin
which firmware should i download
i mean for example if phone was locked to at&t and then unlocked and used in india so will i have to download the at&t firmware or normal indian one
or i can just go to settings and check for updates and download
or by softwares like kies or sony pc companion etc....

thanks a lot for previous replies to both of you...

Upvote 0
Hi

You do not need to worry about carriers for the unlocked phone but you do need to be sure the update is for the same model of phone. Some carriers have versions of phone which are physically different to others. Not certain about Sony but eg there are lots of versions of the galaxy note 2 and the softwares are not interchangeable.

I would first check sonys website and look for firmware for you exact model number.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones