• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked phones and telus question.

mnews

Lurker
Apr 11, 2012
Hi everyone. This is my first post and i hope its in the right place. My current phone with telus is a LG shine plus. Yesterday it took a bit of a fall, and well flew into several pieces. Ive been looking at unlocked phones from the states and basically my question is, if i buy an unlocked phone from the us that is on a wcdma frequency, is it as simple as swapping sim cards? or what other steps would i have to take? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Might have to set the APN and all that so your data connection will work. Not sure though... You should be able to make phone calls right away, however.

If you haven't yet, I'd try asking Telus. They'll probably tell you the standard stuff like they don't support unlocked phones, etc, but should be able to inform you in a general sense what steps you'd have to take. Howard Forums would be a good place to look as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones