• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root USB Host Mode on the Motorola DROID PRO XT610???

Greetings fellow DROID Pro users and fans. I am writing to try to find out how one might go about enabling USB Host Mode on the DROID Pro. I have already read about the method discussed here: USB Host mode on Motorola Droid | Kristin Paget's Blog. However, there are now available on the market USB OTG cables that, in theory, allow users of supported smartphones and similar smart devices to connect to their smart devices USB peripherals. I have purchased and attempted to use three different USB OTG dongles, one of which was even advertized to work with the DROID Pro XT610 (http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-On-The-Go-T-Flash-Adapter-Motorola/dp/B00HV09YDQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1408110389&sr=8-5&keywords=USB+OTG+XT610). Unfortunately, none of them have caused my DROID Pro to switch to USB host mode.

My carrier is Verizon. The version of Android on my DROID Pro is 2.3.4. I have rooted my phone with Framaroot. I have attempted to use a powered USB hub without success. I have installed and used USB Host Diagnostics from the Google Play store to detect whether the phone has been put into USB host mode, but the program indicates that my phone is not in USB host mode. I have also done what the article to which I have linked above says to do regarding the timing of connecting the USB host mode cable to the phone (with the phone off, plug in the cable, then power up the phone, and when the red circular Motorola cable disappears, disconnect the USB host mode cable.

It is also my understanding that the version of Android that is on the DROID Pro does not contain support for USB storage devices, which means that a custom compile or a kernel module is needed in order to activate that capability.

I have searched Google and Bing for any information regarding activating USB host mode on the DROID Pro, but I found few hits. Verizon and Motorola's web sites both seem to be devoid of information on doing this, and I can't help to get the impression that they have practically and virtually deprecated the DROID Pro - I acquired mine in May 2012 and my contract is now up.

One solution would be to upgrade my phone to the latest and greatest phone that actively supports USB host mode and USB OTG cables that is within my budget. However, I have the grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan, and I have read that Verizon is unwilling to continue grandfathering the folks that have them past the next upgrade. So, I am very much inclined to continue using my DROID Pro indefinitely.

Many thanks for any feedback that folks might be able to provide.
Will Snyder

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones