• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use SD card as internal storage

Before I spend a bundle on a new phone, I want to try to use an SD card as internal storage. I understand I need to root my device first. Is that correct? I have no fear of rooting. I mean if I mess it up, I'll just get a new rooted, phone. But I really like this one and I hate to waste money.

Last edited:
No, you don't need to root in order to use the SD card as internal storage: that's been a standard feature of Android since Version 6.0.

However, before you get too excited not all phones offer it. Some manufacturers specifically remove it from some of their phones. It's often the flagship models they remove it from, but if it's something you want you should check whether the specific model offers the feature (which is a question I can't answer).

As for root, check whether that's possible for that phone first. Especially if you propose to buy it from a US service provider, as Samsungs sold through them are often locked down very hard.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones