• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Used droid to use as a translator - will this work? If so how to?

Hi,

I'm planning a vacation to Europe this fall. I've been reading a lot, and I understand that pickpockets look for cell phones, and some tourists have even had them ripped out of their hands. So my cell with all it's contacts is not safe there. This may be an exaggeration, but better safe than sorry.

I have an off-line translator app that I bought (Lonely Planet) and I was planning to use that as a translation device. I've decided that isn't a good idea.

So I'm thinking. What about a cheap, used droid? I could use my wi-fi to download the travel app again and if it's lost I haven't lost much.

The only thing that concerns me after that is that if I download my apps, I'd have to use my google account, which would then be on the phone, allowing any potential thieves to buy things on my charge.

So:
1) Is this a good solution? Am I thinking right?
2) Any way to disable the google account after downloading, or at least have it ask for a password to download anything else?
3) Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks,
Bob

Reactions: jackley81
Upvote 0
Yup. I think google play is password protected by default now for purchases but you can add a pin :thumbup:
I dont know about the rest of europe but be careful in scotland lol.. we can spot a tourist a mile off :p

We can spot tourists a mile off as well... :smokingsomb:
th

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check that out.

I don't suppose I need to be concerned about what carrier the phone is dedicated to, since it isn't going to work there anyway. As long as I can download via the Wi-fi from my home network, I imagine it should work (please correct me if it's faulty thinking)

I'll feel a lot better not taking my 'real' phone. No contacts and other things to lose. I can't make calls in Europe with my phone anyway.

It's a shame one has to worry about pickpockets and grab-and-run thieves, but in desperate times, desperate people do desperate things.

Like I said, I'm sure the reports are exaggerated, but even if it's one out of a thousand, if that one is me, the other 999 don't count. If one person gets ripped off he/she will post, and the others who don't have nothing to report.

I know how to minimize the threat of pickpockets (money belts, traveler's clothes, etc.) but I've never had to use a phone as a translator before, -- and the reports of people having their phones ripped out of their hands is something that would be hard to protect yourself from. I've read where they work in teams, one or more distract you while another goes for your belongings.

Bob

Upvote 0
It really depends where you go tbh. I was shocked when i went to Ibiza (spanish island) and these mad women would come up trying to read your palm etc, grab your wrist then try n get into your pocket. After the first few times i learned to say **** OFF and lift my fist whenever they approached me lol (dont try that in scotland or youll get stabbed) :)

As long as the app defo works offline then your plan should be fine man. Have fun :beer:

Upvote 0
I know how to minimize the threat of pickpockets (money belts, traveler's clothes, etc.) but I've never had to use a phone as a translator before, -- and the reports of people having their phones ripped out of their hands is something that would be hard to protect yourself from. I've read where they work in teams, one or more distract you while another goes for your belongings.

Bob

Bob, I have to ask a question, but what would you define as "traveler's clothes"

As long as it's not something like this...;)
US-Tourist.JPG

It's true actually, I've seen them in Beijing like that.

I'm an Englishman in a very foreign country, and I just wear whatever I wear normally, even when travelling, and I don't bother with money belts. You're mainly taking credit cards aren't you rather than cash?

I work on the idea of not attracting attention to yourself.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I'm going to Spain, and I understand that Barcelona has taken over from Naples the number one spot for pickpockets -- and there are other Spanish cities not far behind that.

I've been to the England, Scotland, Wales, Netherlands, Italy, Hungary, China, Hong Kong (when it was still British), 49 US States, much of Canada, much of Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Saint Martin/Saint-Martin, US Virgin Islands, Bahamas, and a few others and never been bothered.

With the exception of the People's Republic of China, we traveled independently, using rental cars and/or public transportation (I couldn't read the signs in China so I had to take a tour).

We try to blend in by dressing as the locals do, we learn at least courtesy phrases in the appropriate language, and we do our best to respect the customs of the country we are visiting. And we might fool some, and make others comfortable around us, but we are not going to fool the person who makes his/her living from tourists.

We travel to see the world, and enjoy the food, music, and culture other countries have to offer us. We aren't rich, and we live frugally to support are travel lust, but we do put money into the pockets of ethical local business owners and employees. It's too bad that in some places, the unethical want us to make a contribution without giving us any value for our money.

How a country treats its guests tends to display how civilized the country is.

So, I'll try to find some "junk" phones for about $50 each (initial target price) and use them as 'throw away' phones.

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
Bob, I have to ask a question, but what would you define as "traveler's clothes"<...>

Try to dress conservatively, in the manner of the locals of the place I am visiting. But using clothing made for travelers with hidden pockets and difficult to open pockets so as not to be an easy target for pickpockets.

Blending in with the locals is not only good for not attracting attention to ourselves, it also shows respect for the people living in the country in which we are visiting.

I've seen other US visitors to other countries that have made me embarrassed to be an American. Don't they care about the people they are visiting? Or are they just ignorant?

---

I use money belts for passports and emergency credit cards. Just in case everything is lost, it will get me home. I've never had to use that strategy.

---

And yes, the Lonely Planet app is designed to work off-line.

Bob

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Main thing, speaking as someone who lives in a rough town is to be confident and look people right in the eye. The trouble is that thats a hard thing to fake and if youre mind is occupied by trying to be safe, the wrong body language comes across. Noone will touch me in my town but if i go to another place, i probably look like a turkey with a big target on it lol.
I think youre doing the right thing by not carrying valuables. Dont carry much cash. If someone robs you, give them everything and dont be a dead hero but most of all, just enjoy yourself. The US to me seem like a very scared nation which is maybe why their government are so aggressive.
Bit off topic though lol.
The Spanish are a very warm people if youre respectful :):beer:

Upvote 0
Probably a stupid question ... what's P&CA?

Anyway, I find nice people everywhere I go - most people are. It's just the few I'm trying to be careful of. If I lose something in my own country, it's a minor problem, in another country the same loss could be a major problem.

So for those in the know, will just about any touch screen 'droid phone do? From any carrier? Or are there certain things I have to look for or avoid?

Sorry for sounding like such a newbie, but the google searching is starting to make the matter more muddy instead of clearer.

Thanks again,
Bob

Upvote 0
Probably a stupid question ... what's P&CA?

Anyway, I find nice people everywhere I go - most people are. It's just the few I'm trying to be careful of. If I lose something in my own country, it's a minor problem, in another country the same loss could be a major problem.

So for those in the know, will just about any touch screen 'droid phone do? From any carrier? Or are there certain things I have to look for or avoid?

Sorry for sounding like such a newbie, but the google searching is starting to make the matter more muddy instead of clearer.

Thanks again,
Bob

As long as it has working wifi so you can load the app then any android device will be fine man :thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones