• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
I didn't watch any of the USFL games last year. I saw their commercial the other night... for real football :) I guess it kicks off April 15th. I have no idea what rules they play by. I gather there are eight teams with two divisions. Depending on when they palay I might watch a game or two. Before watching my thought is why to wannabe leagues. Combine XFL and USFL and play it their season at the end of basketball and the beginning of baseball.

I grabbed this off the net:

The new season kicks off on April 15, and each of the four host cities — Detroit, Memphis, Canton, Ohio and Birmingham, Alabama — will have games within the first three weeks. Through the 10-week regular season, each of the USFL’s eight teams will play division rivals twice and teams of the opposite division once.

Do you remember the AFL? It was upstart. As I recall, right after the Jets and Namath won Super Bowl 3, the leagues merged. Maybe the new leagues have aspirations. ;)
Certainly. My Chiefs played in the first confrontation between the two leagues and got soundly whipped. That game added legitimacy to the AFL in spite of the lopsided game. What it really indicated was that the game was marketable. Sports are revenue driven and where there is a market, there is a future.
I think there could be a future for XFL and USFL but I contend they need to merge. I question that interest (money) in the stand alone leagues is sufficient for either surviving. Combined as one league with two conferences has a fighting chance to create enough revenue to be legitimate. Just my opinion.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
watching my thought is why 2 wannabe leagues. Combine XFL and USFL and play it their season at the end of basketball and the beginning of baseball.

^^^^ This.
32 teams in the NFL. 8 teams in the XFL. 8 teams in the USFL. Combine the XFL and USFL and make them like "minor" league teams for the NFL. So make like 2 teams of the combined leagues minor league teams for 1 NFL team. It's the only way I see these non NFL leagues lasting. I mean the XFL has failed twice, the USFL is on its second try, and then there was the Alliance Football League. Only way these leagues last is to link up with the NFL somehow.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
If nothing else, have the teams play in smaller market areas where there is no professional football and be farm teams for the NFL much like MLB.
I hate to see the upstarts fail. United they stand and divided they fall is my opinion.
When you said United it reminded me of the UFL as well. Another league that existed and failed.

Reactions: AugieTN and olbriar
Upvote 0
I have the impression that the USFL is FOX supported. That gives them a fighting chance. Exposure equates to revenue. Without revenue they can't last.
It would be a pretty expensive hobby to have a non profitable football team playing in a non profitable league. The upstarts need TV exposure, sponsors, and viewers to survive. They double their potential combined.

Upvote 0
I'm watching the Philadelphia Stars vs the Memphis Showboats. At least they are playing by traditional football rules as near as I can tell. The game is on Fox Sports 1. I turned over to the game when baseball was over and the second half was just starting. The game just started the 4th. It's a competitive game so far and was my best sports viewing option.

Upvote 0
My take on both of the wannabe football league games is some, not all, are fiercely fought battles. It's difficult for me to get engrossed in the games when I don't have a favorite team and know none of the players. Add those to missing parts and I could easily be a fan or either or both leagues. That takes time and a lot of exposure to the games. If they survive, I'll likely become a fan. Here today and gone tomorrow is the fear I have for them. It's a long uphill battle to gain a following and fan base. I wish them luck.

Upvote 0
You can safely bet that the league's star players aren't landing two hundred twenty five million dollar contracts. :) The NFL might be pricing their game out of the market. I can't justify the YT price to follow the sport like I once did. I can afford to watch the XFL and USFL games. :) If they were local to me, I could pony up the bucks to put my butt in their stands. Not so with the NFL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones