• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using a Korean Phone in the United States (Help a n00b)

Hello there, I am new to these forums and was hoping you could help me. i bought a Droid on launch day and had it two months before my work took me to South Korea. I sold it and lately I have been missing having an Android phone. I really like the phones they have here in South Korea, such as the LG Optimus Q but as I am not a citizen of South Korea I must pay the full price of the phone. This is not a problem except I don't know how long I will be here. This leads me to my questions:

1) Is it possible to reload the Android OS so I can have the English OS and not the Korean OS?
2) Because the phone is so much money, Id like to be able to use it in the United States when I move home. Is the LG Optimus Q compatible with any US providers? If yes, what would I have to do to do this. I know nothing of rooting or unlocking. I don't even know if/how they are different.

Thanks for your help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones