• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using LG G5 on Ethernet network

IMarshal

Lurker
Oct 18, 2017
I recently picked up an LG G5 to do some software development, and I was wondering if there's a way to get it to connect to the internet using my ADSL connection. I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of Android, so please bear with me.

I do realize Wi-Fi is the path of least resistance... but it's not the best option in this particular house and I have a fine Ethernet network just sitting there waiting to be used. And my old Windows Phone (ducks) is able to use it just fine.

I have a USB type C hub (a Microsoft HD-500 display dock) and a small collection of USB to Ethernet adapters. Unfortunately, the LG G5 has zero interest in recognizing any of them.

I've also played around with reverse tethering to my PC, but apparently it requires root access to even work, and even after that it doesn't even work very well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work? Like, maybe there's a turnkey way to root the device, install a custom kernel with all sorts of goodies, as well as a more recent version of Android, etc? Or maybe I just have the wrong phone?

Thanks.

For sure, but for various reasons I'm trying to keep Wi-Fi out of the equation. I'm wondering what other options exist.

I've been playing with reverse tethering, with some promising results, but still no luck. The one reverse tethering app I found that worked without requiring root (the aptly named ReverseTethering) lets me use some apps successfully with my PC's internet connection, but the Google Play Store can't seem to download apps. So... almost, but not quite.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Today's progress: I played a little more with the ReverseTethering app, which works by establishing a VPN connection to its host PC over an ADB-controlled USB pipe. Most apps seem fine with it. However, as mentioned the Google Play Store insists on using Wi-Fi to download apps and won't recognize a reverse-tethered connection. It does resume in-process downloads over the connection, but won't initiate new ones. My conclusion is that this is an app bug, and that it is checking for Wi-Fi when it really should simply be checking for a valid connection.

There's an app called Fake Wifi that will apparently hack apps into thinking their connection is over Wi-Fi when it's not. However, this app needs a framework that requires a rooted device. So, back to square one.

(NB: I'd prefer not to root my device for security reasons.)

Upvote 0
Today's progress: connecting a Sharkk UH-SKRJ11 (RealTek RTL8153 chipset) directly to the phone using a USB C-to-A adapter works. A couple of apps seem iffy about it, including the Google Maps offline downloader, but the Google Play Store and the LG updater work. So this is probably as good as it gets without major surgery.

This suggests that the problem was in fact the Microsoft HD-500 display dock. It would charge the phone, but the phone didn't seem to recognize it as a USB hub.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a USB Type C hub that works with this phone? Ideally I'd like to use Ethernet and charge at the same time.

Upvote 0
I recently picked up an LG G5 to do some software development, and I was wondering if there's a way to get it to connect to the internet using my ADSL connection. I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of Android, so please bear with me.

I do realize Wi-Fi is the path of least resistance... but it's not the best option in this particular house and I have a fine Ethernet network just sitting there waiting to be used. And my old Windows Phone (ducks) is able to use it just fine.

I have a USB type C hub (a Microsoft HD-500 display dock) and a small collection of USB to Ethernet adapters. Unfortunately, the LG G5 has zero interest in recognizing any of them.

I've also played around with reverse tethering to my PC, but apparently it requires root access to even work, and even after that it doesn't even work very well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work? Like, maybe there's a turnkey way to root the device, install a custom kernel with all sorts of goodies, as well as a more recent version of Android, etc? Or maybe I just have the wrong phone?

Thanks.
I just purchased the Lg G5 RS988. I myself am looking into a wired connection as I have a wired network throughout my home.. All my kids have there Ipads, tablets and phones wired through the network using cables and adapters do to wireless sensitivity issues (health reasons).

Did you get developer options enabled? Within the Dev menu there is an option to turn the USB into Ethernet port. I did this while using a USB/Lan adapter, going into a usb type c to OTG cable. I have tried 2 different lan adapters but couldn't get it to work. This model has an unlocked carrier and boot-loader so my chances may be greater than yours, what model do you have?

I have several other cables and options I will be trying. I will keep you updated on what I get to work. Like I said I just purchased this phone and it arrived yesterday. I will be rooting this device and installing a custom Rom before bringing it over to Verizon.

From the research I've done prior to my purchase, from my understanding, this device can be connected via the Ethernet. However, I was unable to find anyone with the exact instructions on how to do so.. I'm sure we'll figure something out.. I will be following this thread.. Maybe someone else can shine some light our way..!?

Upvote 0
DLs1150:

I can totally sympathize with your electro-sensitivity issues.
For what it's worth, I now have an LG G5 RS988 instead of the T-Mobile-branded device I had earlier (H830T). The latter was an Ebay purchase which stopped working thanks to a T-Mobile EIP block. That's another story entirely. But I do have the RS988 working on my Ethernet network.

Like you, I attempted the USB tethering approach briefly, but very few things actually wanted to work so I gave up on that. Rooting seemed like a lot of work, somewhat risky, might devalue the phone, and possibly would be a security risk. So I didn't attempt that route.

Anyway, the RS988 works fine when you connect an USB Ethernet adapter to it directly using an USB type A to C OTG adapter. You can get those for just a few bucks on Ebay. The phone will act as a power supply to the adapter, which will burn battery like crazy, but it will work. Further, if you pick up a simple powered USB Type C hub on Ebay, you can plug the adapter into it and it will likely work with the G5 while actually charging as well.

The two NICs that work for me both have RealTek RTL8153 chipsets: (1) Sharkk UH-SKRJ11 and (2) Microsoft Surface Ethernet Adapter 3.0. Other adapters with the same chipset might or might not work; you won't know until you try them.

This is a USB hub that works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UBS-3-1-Ty...-Charging-Port-OTG-Adapter-Cable/162309246619

And an OTG adapter that works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-3-1-...ter-OTG-Data-Sync-Charging-Cable/302499035592

One thing to note is that these things work about 75% of the time. Sometimes the phone needs a reboot. Sometimes plugging into the hub doesn't work, and plugging directly into the phone does. It's Android... shrug.

Another thing to note is that the latest LG update for the RS988 is 7.0 July vs. 7.0 October for the T-Mobile-branded device. Unfortunately, the October update seemed to improve some Ethernet-related things, including enabling the phone to work with my Microsoft HD-500 display dock. Until that update is released for the RS988, that combination still doesn't work for me. But the hardware I mentioned above does.

Things that don't work with Ethernet due to software bugs:

1. The part of Settings that checks for OS updates
2. Downloading offline maps with the Google Maps app
3. Skype sign-in
4. A few other misc apps I don't recall at the moment.

Good luck, and do follow up with how things work out for you.

Reactions: wuyiL
Upvote 0
DLs1150:

I can totally sympathize with your electro-sensitivity issues.
For what it's worth, I now have an LG G5 RS988 instead of the T-Mobile-branded device I had earlier (H830T). The latter was an Ebay purchase which stopped working thanks to a T-Mobile EIP block. That's another story entirely. But I do have the RS988 working on my Ethernet network.

Like you, I attempted the USB tethering approach briefly, but very few things actually wanted to work so I gave up on that. Rooting seemed like a lot of work, somewhat risky, might devalue the phone, and possibly would be a security risk. So I didn't attempt that route.

Anyway, the RS988 works fine when you connect an USB Ethernet adapter to it directly using an USB type A to C OTG adapter. You can get those for just a few bucks on Ebay. The phone will act as a power supply to the adapter, which will burn battery like crazy, but it will work. Further, if you pick up a simple powered USB Type C hub on Ebay, you can plug the adapter into it and it will likely work with the G5 while actually charging as well.

The two NICs that work for me both have RealTek RTL8153 chipsets: (1) Sharkk UH-SKRJ11 and (2) Microsoft Surface Ethernet Adapter 3.0. Other adapters with the same chipset might or might not work; you won't know until you try them.

This is a USB hub that works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UBS-3-1-Ty...-Charging-Port-OTG-Adapter-Cable/162309246619

And an OTG adapter that works:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-3-1-...ter-OTG-Data-Sync-Charging-Cable/302499035592

One thing to note is that these things work about 75% of the time. Sometimes the phone needs a reboot. Sometimes plugging into the hub doesn't work, and plugging directly into the phone does. It's Android... shrug.

Another thing to note is that the latest LG update for the RS988 is 7.0 July vs. 7.0 October for the T-Mobile-branded device. Unfortunately, the October update seemed to improve some Ethernet-related things, including enabling the phone to work with my Microsoft HD-500 display dock. Until that update is released for the RS988, that combination still doesn't work for me. But the hardware I mentioned above does.

Things that don't work with Ethernet due to software bugs:

1. The part of Settings that checks for OS updates
2. Downloading offline maps with the Google Maps app
3. Skype sign-in
4. A few other misc apps I don't recall at the moment.

Good luck, and do follow up with how things work out for you.

Great news..! I new it was possible with the RS988 just needed to spend more time fooling around with it.

Like I mentioned before, I tried the OTG I just recieved today with to different network adapters but had no luck. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM51812/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I do know I am not running version 7. I believe its 6.01 or something, I wonder if that could be an issue? I'll be tinkering with more cables tomorrow. I know what you mean with finicky cables and or devices. I think its due to the fact all these wireless devices WANT a wireless connection and don't like being manipulated into a wired connection..

Glad to here that you got it working!

Upvote 0
I doubt the OTG adapter is the problem; they're fairly simple devices.

You'll definitely want to update to the latest version of Android LG has to offer, and you'll need Wi-Fi for that. Beyond that, it's possible the phone doesn't have drivers for the NIC chipsets you're using. Like I said, both of my RTL8153 adapters work.

Upvote 0
I doubt the OTG adapter is the problem; they're fairly simple devices.

You'll definitely want to update to the latest version of Android LG has to offer, and you'll need Wi-Fi for that. Beyond that, it's possible the phone doesn't have drivers for the NIC chipsets you're using. Like I said, both of my RTL8153 adapters work.

Well, it turns out I needed to update the phone. After the update it worked immediately when plugged in (in Airplane mode as well)! I am currently running Android version 7.0, Kernel 3.18.31, Software RS98821a STOCK setup. I have yet to root my device.

The phone is working GREAT..SUPER FAST! Download and upload speeds of 120MBPS+(Fiber Optic Net)! Can't beat the speed of a wired connection!

The setup I currently am using: USB-C to USB 3.0 female "USB-C OTG" cable connected to a USB 3.0 powered hub, the USB Ethernet adapter is connected to the hub.

IMarshal, your able to charge your phone and be lionked to the NET at the same time? At the moment that's the only thing I am unable to do.. Granted the powered hub is taking care of the power needed for the LAN adapter. However, charging my device while being connected to the NET would be even better!

20171206_133712.jpg
20171206_134230.jpg

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Nice.

For what it's worth, my "software version" is RS98821c and security patch level is 7.0 July 1 2017. So there may be further updates for you if you keep checking.

Regarding hubs, the simple hub I mentioned above is able to provide both power and device connectivity (e.g. Ethernet) at the same time. My guess is that your USB 3.0 type A hub isn't able to negotiate power back through the type C adapter for some reason. If you get a native USB type C (3.1?) hub it will likely work better.

Upvote 0
Imarshal, can you show me a picture of your setup? I'm trying to figure out how you are charging your phone while being connected to the net. I looked at the usb hub you purchased. However, not quite sure how your hooking it up.

Like you mentioned, and I confirmed, my hub only supports power to the the devices inputs and not on the output. I did confirm that the OTG cable I have will work for charging so that's not an issue.

I was looking at (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W5MKL...b24b-4afa091d4579&ie=UTF8&qid=1513137150&sr=2) this one..

I figured this should do everything I need all in one. I assume the devices male C connector would go into the phone. Followed by the power and net connection; and if I didn't want such a big device hanging inches from my phone I can purchase a type c male to female extension..:thinking:

Upvote 0
Yes, as you mention, the male USB type C cable from the hub goes into the phone, while a power-supplying type C cable is used with the hub's female input to power everything.

I'll note that of the three phones I've plugged into this setup, two charge (LG G5, Lumia 950 XL) and the other doesn't (Alcatel Idol 5S). Presumably different USB/charging hardware in each.

As you mention, the proximity to the phone is somewhat awkward with the original hub I started with. So I switched to using the following hub, powered exactly the same way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-C-Hub-...rt-USB-3-0-PD-2-0-Data-Hub-5Gbps/142551511598

It comes with a somewhat longer male type C to type C cable, which is also easily replaceable with a longer one if you have one.

Upvote 0
Imarshal, can you show me a picture of your setup? I'm trying to figure out how you are charging your phone while being connected to the net. I looked at the usb hub you purchased. However, not quite sure how your hooking it up.

Like you mentioned, and I confirmed, my hub only supports power to the the devices inputs and not on the output. I did confirm that the OTG cable I have will work for charging so that's not an issue.

I was looking at (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W5MKL...b24b-4afa091d4579&ie=UTF8&qid=1513137150&sr=2) this one..

I figured this should do everything I need all in one. I assume the devices male C connector would go into the phone. Followed by the power and net connection; and if I didn't want such a big device hanging inches from my phone I can purchase a type c male to female extension..:thinking:

Did this adapter work?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones