• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon is doing tests in Oklahoma and N. Carolina on LTE-U

AZgl1500

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
Oklahoma grasslands
http://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20..._cid=5088014&et_rid=%%subscriberid%%&type=cta

I'm shocked, my little rural back yard area is going to be used for the testing....
I need to jump up and run down to Oklahoma City and see how much it improves things for me.
That is a 3 hour drive one way though..

Fri, 01/29/2016 - 6:21pm by Diana Goovaerts, Associate Editor,
@DiaMariesbeat

Mobile technology company Qualcomm on Friday received authorization to conduct small-scale field tests of LTE-U technology at select Verizon sites in Oklahoma City, Okla. and Raleigh N.C., the FCC said.

According to a Special Temporary Authorization form, the tests will be conducted on fixed and mobile devices within a one-mile radius of the stations. The authorization indicates that the tests will be conducted on the 1.85-1.91 GHz, 1.93-1.99 GHz, 5.15-5.25 GHz, 5.725-5.85 GHz frequencies.

In its application for authorization, Qualcomm said goal of the testing is to “evaluate the technical performance of pre-commercial LTE-U equipment, operating in downlink-only mode” to assist in the development of commercial products.

The coming trial will include up to 30 small cells and access points, as well as up to 14 prototype mobile devices in Raleigh and up to 28 in Oklahoma, the application said. Qualcomm said the prototypes are receive-only devices that operate in the 5GHz spectrum, but also include a transmitter that operates on 3GPP Band 2.

Qualcomm said it is aiming to maintain operation of both the small cells and mobile prototypes 24 hours per day, seven days per week during testing.

Equipment from multiple manufacturers will be used in the testing, Qualcomm said.

The special authorization from the FCC is in effect for testing through the end of June. Should any interference occur during testing, Qualcomm said it has the ability to shut down all transmissions operating under the authorization.

Results of the testing will be shared with the commission, the FCC said.

Reactions: comk4ver

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones