• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Price Increase

Duckster

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
This week I received a notification from Verizon that I can expect my phone bill to in crease by $4/mth. I have to admit that it's the first time in a long time that I have seen my rates going up, but with all of the other "junk" fees, I'm just wondering if it is really necessary. I'm also thinking that with that "payout" that Verizon has to pay because of their hidden junk fees (I think), that they are just trying to recoup some of the money that they have to pay out. Some forums have listed this payout as gospel while others have dispelled it as rumors. Even the media is saying that it is real, but either way, increasing the bills to cover a lawsuit just doesn't seem right if that is what they are doing.

An important​

account update.​

What to expect.​

There's no action needed. We want to assure you of our commitment to bringing you our award-winning network. To continue improving our industry-leading mobile network and services, we’re adjusting our plan prices. No sooner than 3.1.24, you’ll see an increased rate of $4/mo per phone line.*
Bringing you the best value in wireless is our top priority. Your existing plan benefits will not be changing. With the 5G Play More plan on your account, you’ll keep enjoying:
Disney Bundle ($18.99/mo value)
Apple Arcade or Google Play Pass (up to $6.99/mo in value)
Total value of up to $25.98/mo

Plus, we’re giving you more.​

In addition to your current benefits, we're adding more value to your plan with an extra 5GB of Mobile Hotspot. This will be added to your plan beginning 3.1.24 and will be effective with your next bill cycle.

Learn more about the change.​

Any discounts currently applied to your account, or ones you are eligible for, are still valid. Visit our FAQ page for a list of savings opportunities.

Our commitment to you.​

Verizon has recently undergone a major multi-year transformation of its network by providing 5G service to more than 230 million people and expanding 5G home broadband service to more than 40 million households. We've introduced advanced technologies into every corner of the network, served the majority of our cell sites with our own fiber, and offered 5G and private networks to venues across the country.

Reactions: ocnbrze
I've not seen an increase in my four phone plan in over a year. An increase certainly wouldn't surprise me at this point. I can't think of many services or products that have not increased in price in the last year.
True, but the timing of the increase that is coming March 1, 2024 is suspect (lawsuit). I understand that prices change, but that's quite a jump for some.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Mine went up by $2 a line maybe a year or so ago, it's a really old plan. It just brought the price up to the current plans really, not more, so I just left things alone.

I just filed for my 'take' of the lawsuit, got 2 claim forms so submitted both.
Same here. I'm on an old plan but it works for me. I've been thinking about jumping ship to Spectrum, but I haven't seen much on the call quality or making calls from other countries via wifi.

I haven't filed yet because that email address that came with the notification letter just didn't look like anything that Verizon would send. How did you verify the authenticity of the notification letter? I was waiting to get closer to the actual date. I think the award is something like $100.

Upvote 0
Spectrum uses Verizon's towers so it should be the same for you. Not sure about Wi-Fi calls.
I got notifications in the mail and went to the website listed (I did Google it without the .com to check). There was a Notice ID and Confirmation Code on the postcard, I entered that and it brought up all my info. I had to choose how to get my money (PayPal/Venmo/Zelle/check etc.), it was quick and straightforward.

Upvote 0
We use an MVNO that leases bandwidth on the Big Three's towers: we can get SIM cards for whichever has the best coverage in our immediate area. Currently we're on Verizon: I say "currently" because although they have been pulling telcom resources out of our area (even though people are moving in by the dozens per week), it's still the best coverage. By doing that and not using Verizon itself (and paying for the concerts & stadiums), we are paying HALF.

Upvote 0
I think they're cutting telecom resources everywhere and charging more for less coverage. Verizon used to blanket our area: now there are dead zones on the highways and interstate here.

Perhaps they should stop building stadiums and putting on concerts, and build their infrastructure back, so people like us won't leave Verizon for a MVNO that leases bandwidth on all three major carriers' towers. We can change to another network anytime, at no cost, based on which one has the best coverage here.

(Maybe that's why they're jacking up rates: they keep losing customers and the ones left have to make up for the loss)

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I think they're cutting telecom resources everywhere and charging more for less coverage. Verizon used to blanket our area: now there are dead zones on the highways and interstate here......

AT&T is doing the same thing. It's really noticeable on highways and interstates now, which use to be covered. Surprisingly my Google Fi (T-Mobile) coverage is better on highways and interstates now where I drive.

Upvote 0
We use an MVNO that leases bandwidth on the Big Three's towers: we can get SIM cards for whichever has the best coverage in our immediate area.
How is this working now that the S24 Ultra has two Sim slots? I have not seen this personally, but I heard it does. Do you still have to switch cards, or is it seemless with 2 cards installed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones