• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help VERY loud beep over BT when driving

Jun 18, 2012
Running Android Cyanogen Marshmallow on a Wilexfox Swift.

When I am using HERE Maps as satnav/GPS, there is an occasionally VERY loud double-beep through the BT Audio channel. PAINFULLY LOUD.

All HERE notifications are disabled in the HERE App, and blocked in the System Settings-Notifictions-App Notifications.

There's no visual cue when it happens, so I can't see if it's HERE or some other app.

I installed a notification catcher, but it didn't register anything last time this happened.

The only possible clue is that is seems to happen near where motorways/freeways diverge or merge. But not every time.

Can anyone suggest what it is, and (more importantly) how to get it to stop ?

Hmmm. As I said, *ALL* sounds are set to Off in the HERE App, and in the App Notification setup.

It may not be HERE, to be fair. But it seems to happen when driving.

I thought it could be a media app (Podcast republic) I sometimes use. But it happened yesterday when I wasn't playing any media.

Also, as said, whatever it is, it bypassed my notification catcher :(

Upvote 0
AMBER message alerts?
Amber alerts in the US are named after a young girl "Amber" that was kidnapped. It allows for notification via TV, Radio, and Cell Phones for a discription of the missing child, and any additional information of the abductor, for the region where the child may be located. It is designed to help find a missing person within the first few hours.

***carry on with the thread topic***

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, should have said UK based.

It's not like the vid posted. It's two LOUD !!! beeps via the cars BT.

It does sound like the speed alert HERE can give. But as I said that is disabled in the app settings PLUS I have "blocked all notifications" in the Android app notifications settings.

The reason I disabled speed alerts is the HERE speedo is a bit flaky but 5-10 mph. Even sitting still in traffic it drifts between 0 and 5mph.

Upvote 0
I have only experienced it when driving, and when the phone is BT paired with the car. It doesn't happen with no pairing - so it's not the car itself. The cars sat nav is shitty beyond belief and all features are disabled (not that you'd notice. They never worked anyway).

Can't answer about other BT devices, as I only use BT in the car.

This didn't ever happen using Google Maps, which is why I am flagging up HERE. Part of my question is can an app override the Android settings for it ?

Upvote 0
OK, some updates.

1) BT is a red herring. I drove all this weekend with BT disabled, and now I hear the noise through the phone sepakers.

2) It's definitely connected to junctions/motorway merges. I tried a few near me (M6/M54, M42/M5) and it happened about 1 mile before hand

3) It's a double beep.

4) It's definitely HERE maps. When I wasn't using HERE, no beeps.

5) There isn't much to adjust in HERE regarding audio - basically Voice Options (set to "None") and Speed alerts (set to "off").

So this is probably a HERE issue. If only their support wasn't so woeful :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones