• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Veterans Day 2023

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
Today is designated as a day to honor our Veterans that served to preserve our way of life. I would like to thank every Vet that sacrificed their time, and for many their lives, so that I can live in a free country. Thank you for your service seems far too little to offer in return.
af73cbd3-d3dd-47de-9c8c-1338810e03b0_1140x641.jpg

Hopefully that cemetery is serviced each December by Wreaths Across America. We work to identify the grave of every veteran, in every cemetery; then lay a real evergreen wreath on the grave and SAY THEIR NAME aloud. It's said that a person has two deaths... the first when they depart their body, the second the last time anyone says their name. At that point, they are lost to living memory & history. We make it a point to continue honoring veterans long gone by saying their name... even if we didn't know them.

Upvote 0
Thank you, @AugieTN - I had the privilege of delivering FDR's June 6, 1944 D-Day radio address and prayer for the nation as part of the ceremony. I didn't want to read it: I was determined to recite it. For two weeks I worked on memorizing it, listening to his original radio address to add his Harvard inflection, and channeling his somber sincerity. It really moved the audience and I hope it touched the many young people in attendance.

Upvote 0
my dad was a Navy vet who fought in the Korean war. he has past on a while ago, but the cemetery he is in always puts a flag on his grave for Veterans Day. I will probably go and visit him after dinner today.

If he's interred in a National cemetery that would be common. My father served in both Korea and Vietnam. I've no idea if his name is mentioned as stated by the Chief. I've known many a good soldier and many good men (people). Sometimes the soldier returns but the man is gone, never to return from the field.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Sometimes the soldier returns but the man is gone, never to return from the field.
That all depends on the character of the man who put on the uniform. I know a lot of people, myself included, who left the service more of a man than when we went in.

As a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars, I have found that 'combat experience" is different for everyone who was in combat: yet I have the utmost respect for all who served. We share an immediate bond with each other, and that's a huge help for those with war wounds... both seen and unseen.

:)

Upvote 0
That all depends on the character of the man who put on the uniform. I know a lot of people, myself included, who left the service more of a man than when we went in.

As a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars, I have found that 'combat experience" is different for everyone who was in combat: yet I have the utmost respect for all who served. We share an immediate bond with each other, and that's a huge help for those with war wounds... both seen and unseen.

:)

Something that @The_Chief mentioned in his post that really hit home with me, was the bond he mentioned with others. You develop a camaraderie, a trust like you have never felt before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something that @The_Chief mentioned in his post that really hit home with me, was the bond he mentioned with others. You develop a camaraderie, a trust like you have never felt before.

That happens in many fields, but dealing with combat with another (or group) is quite another thing all together.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones