• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Video Saving With Filter

tengannecrom

Lurker
May 31, 2020
I've been trying to record videos with this phone (recently bought) and whenever I save videos they have this awful grey filter on them. How do i rid myself of this? The video quality is gorgeous, but i cant stand the filter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200531-134535.png
    Screenshot_20200531-134535.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_20200531-134455.png
    Screenshot_20200531-134455.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 191
Looking at that posted photos, I wouldn't describe that a 'grey filter' but more of a lack of contrast. The dark parts aren't quite dark enough and the light parts not quite light enough. Keep in mind that's not necessarily a resolution issue, it's tied to color balance. Using lower resolution will result in a lack of sharpness (edges with a subtle blur) but the color and brightness are different aspects.

If you're using the default auto-detection in your Camera app, and if there's any option(s) in the Camera app Settings menu to set your own preferences and save that as your default, you might want to do some test shots while playing around with color balance/contrast settings until you find what you like. Don't rush this process as it's not that simple. Don't forget to view your adjusted photos in different places -- computers, other devices, etc. -- since your phone's display has its own color balance that will be different from other displays.

If you're using the default Camera app that came preinstalled with your phone and it doesn't have a lot of options for the user to manually adjust its settings you might want to try using a third-party camera app. I really like the Open Camera app, it's an Open Source project with good developmental support, no ads, and pertaining to this situation, has a very extensive settings menu that allows you to optimize the camera app to your particular needs.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera&hl=en_US

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones