• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Want a smaller phone...any suggestions?

So I have had phablets for 3 years just about, I am tired of how awkward and cumbersome my phone is and on top of that I do not use all the "nicer" stuff about it such as the octocore processor/13 megapixel camera/HD screen etc. It is all useless to me as I only use my phone to text, read articles and update my fantasy basketball league so I want to switch to a smaller phone, the only downside is every phone on cricket and metro that is smaller has horrible specs unless I want to drop cash on Galaxy or Iphone, which I don't.

So out of the "bad" phones on Metro and Cricket, which one is the best? If that makes sense. That won't die on me in a month and not a ton of lag and is actually usable as a smartphone? I don't want anymore 6 inch huge screen phones! thanks!:)

Weston Drake Sanborn

The Moto E would be a good candidate for a practically free phone on cricket. If you don't mind spending a little more you can get a first gen Moto X pretty cheap ($150ish), which was a fantastic phone (probably my favorite phone of all the phones I have owned, except for the camera).

Upvote 0
Please dont judge me too harshly, but i downgraded to a Microsoft Lumia 650 with Windows 10(Sorry Android, you will always be my main ). Its 5 inch screen, and feels durable while beung slim as ever. Do not however cause this phone to flex while removing the battery plate...my LCD screen cracked and im having a tough time with Assurion on why i should get a replacement at NO deductible considering i had it for 3 days and it BROKE IN MY HANDS! But with any technological purchase, just take 20 minutes of your day and look through commercial review, as well as independant reviews. After you have done that you might just have found the phone that suits you

Reactions: leiwphd
Upvote 0
So I have had phablets for 3 years just about, I am tired of how awkward and cumbersome my phone is and on top of that I do not use all the "nicer" stuff about it such as the octocore processor/13 megapixel camera/HD screen etc. It is all useless to me as I only use my phone to text, read articles and update my fantasy basketball league so I want to switch to a smaller phone, the only downside is every phone on cricket and metro that is smaller has horrible specs unless I want to drop cash on Galaxy or Iphone, which I don't.

So out of the "bad" phones on Metro and Cricket, which one is the best? If that makes sense. That won't die on me in a month and not a ton of lag and is actually usable as a smartphone? I don't want anymore 6 inch huge screen phones! thanks!:)

Weston Drake Sanborn
You're better off getting an older unlocked phone instead of a junk Cricket phone. You can get a Galaxy S5 cheap from eBay. If you're set on buying from them, the Alcatel Idol 4 looks decent. I think it has a 5.2" screen which should be pretty manageable. Note that it is a totally different phone than the more common Idol 4S when checking reviews.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones