• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Water damage

RaySin

Lurker
Apr 21, 2020
So I had this brilliant idea of trying to fix water logged phone... And I'm stuck. Phone spent 20min in washing machine so I was a bit sceptical about fixing it but decided to give a shot, stripped it down, washed pcb's in ultrasonic cleaner, changed battery and all I got is screen flicker once in a while while on charging. all contacts looks nice and fresh, no corrosion. any suggestions what else can be tested diagnosed before I jump into buying new screen?

I am just learning how to do it so please don't go too hard on me

yep rice really works. the only things is you want the device completely dry before turning it on or even charging it. moisture and electricity is not a good mix. you could easily fry things up if you turn it on too soon. you might be screwed now. the only thing you can do is to take it in to a repair shop (if there are any open for business right now).

Upvote 0
Regardless, still try the rice, at this point, what do you have to lose?
So I had this brilliant idea of trying to fix water logged phone... And I'm stuck. Phone spent 20min in washing machine so I was a bit sceptical about fixing it but decided to give a shot, stripped it down, washed pcb's in ultrasonic cleaner, changed battery and all I got is screen flicker once in a while while on charging. all contacts looks nice and fresh, no corrosion. any suggestions what else can be tested diagnosed before I jump into buying new screen?

I am just learning how to do it so please don't go too hard on me

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
From the first post it's unlikely that residual water is the problem. So nothing to lose by trying, but I think it's a long shot.

BTW rice is recommended as a drying agent as it's something Western homes are likely to have. Couscous is apparently better, and of course silica gel if you have it would be better yet.

The problem is, what if there is corrosion damage somewhere where you can't see it, e.g. inside the display panel rather than on the connector, inside some other component, or in some small contact on a chip on the mainboard (which may be under the chip)? A washing machine will be a pretty hostile environment (hot, very impure water for an extended period), so I'd not rule anything out. What I'm saying is that even if it's a long shot you might want to try the drying anyway, because at least that's cheap. The risk with buying a new display is that if there's a problem on the mainboard it will have been a waste of money.

The problem is how to test whether it is just the display? Maybe try booting the phone and then calling it or something, to see whether it will respond at all (i.e. whether the display is the only problem)? Unfortunately the S6 series had no MHL or USB to HDMI support, so there's no simple way to mirror the display to a TV, which would be an easy way of confirming whether the rest was working (Chromecasts are useless for this because you need to set it up, which you can't do with a blank screen - wired mirroring is just much, much more useful for diagnostics or data rescue with a dead screen, but not something Samsung regarded as a priority).

Reactions: RaySin and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
From the first post it's unlikely that residual water is the problem. So nothing to lose by trying, but I think it's a long shot.

BTW rice is recommended as a drying agent as it's something Western homes are likely to have. Couscous is apparently better, and of course silica gel if you have it would be better yet.

The problem is, what if there is corrosion damage somewhere where you can't see it, e.g. inside the display panel rather than on the connector, inside some other component, or in some small contact on a chip on the mainboard (which may be under the chip)? A washing machine will be a pretty hostile environment (hot, very impure water for an extended period), so I'd not rule anything out. What I'm saying is that even if it's a long shot you might want to try the drying anyway, because at least that's cheap. The risk with buying a new display is that if there's a problem on the mainboard it will have been a waste of money.

The problem is how to test whether it is just the display? Maybe try booting the phone and then calling it or something, to see whether it will respond at all (i.e. whether the display is the only problem)? Unfortunately the S6 series had no MHL or USB to HDMI support, so there's no simple way to mirror the display to a TV, which would be an easy way of confirming whether the rest was working (Chromecasts are useless for this because you need to set it up, which you can't do with a blank screen - wired mirroring is just much, much more useful for diagnostics or data rescue with a dead screen, but not something Samsung regarded as a priority).

Thank you so much. This is kind of comment I was looking for. Super detailed for me and gave me better idea of what else I can do. Like I mentioned I just start out with phones, so far have only done 3 projects such as lumia 640 and lumia 640 xl + samsung galaxy tab a 10.1'
For me it's just better than panicking during these uncertain times so I thought might as well aquire a new skill of some sort.
I will try to do my best and continue with this phone no matter what it takes and how long. Just super curious about whether it is fixable or not

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones