• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What did I buy?

kephart

Lurker
Sep 11, 2019
Hello all,

I just bought what I thought was a new LG V20. When I went to the Hardware info page the serial number was different than the one underneath the battery.
It looks new, and the box had the tape seal. Is this really a new phone or a refurbish?

Thanks

where did you buy it from? you might want to check your imei number and make sure it is legit and clean. if it is used or refurbed you want to have an imei number that is not blocked becuasde of unopaid bills or something like that.

I bought it through Amazon. I don't know what the IMEI number is, but it's the same as the one inside the phone. How do you check the IMEI number?

Upvote 0
I bought it through Amazon. I don't know what the IMEI number is, but it's the same as the one inside the phone. How do you check the IMEI number?
you should verify it with your carrier. if they activated it with no issues then your imei should be fine. they would have said something if there were any issues with the number before activating it.

as far as real or refurbished, you will need to ask either amazon or the third party seller. not really sure what is going on....maybe some photos might help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well just checked with the website. The IMEI comes back to the model I have. Went to the comments section and there were 4. Two from a guy who had this model phone with a different IMEI number, the other two complaints did not list the IMEI number.

If is says nothing about it being black listed you should be fine. As already mentioned I would try to contact the seller and see if they have an explanation for the 2 different numbers.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Here's the reply from the seller -
Hello, we purchase these as overstock inventory from liquidation companies since they've been discontinued. The phone should be new. Please feel free to return the phone or we can provide a partial credit of $20 if you decide to keep it instead. Thank you

I also called a local phone repair shop to ask them about this situation. Once again the issue was, the IMEI number is the same on the box, the setting page and under the battery. The serial number is not on the box, and the serial number on the setting page is different from the serial number under the battery. So, the guy at the repair shop said he wouldn't be concerned about the serial numbers being different because the IMEI is what's important.

I'm still listening to what you guys say. (I'm sure you know more than I do) Otherwise I might just give this new phone a try.

I really appreciate the replies.

Upvote 0
Here's the reply from the seller -
Hello, we purchase these as overstock inventory from liquidation companies since they've been discontinued. The phone should be new. Please feel free to return the phone or we can provide a partial credit of $20 if you decide to keep it instead. Thank you

I also called a local phone repair shop to ask them about this situation. Once again the issue was, the IMEI number is the same on the box, the setting page and under the battery. The serial number is not on the box, and the serial number on the setting page is different from the serial number under the battery. So, the guy at the repair shop said he wouldn't be concerned about the serial numbers being different because the IMEI is what's important.

I'm still listening to what you guys say. (I'm sure you know more than I do) Otherwise I might just give this new phone a try.

I really appreciate the replies.

I would keep the phone. As long as you don't have issues with it working the serial numbers being different don't matter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones