• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What makes a profound and great leader that truly breaks the mold?

M

Member243850

I am almost about to start working again soon once the scaffolding has been erected ... they don't want to hire me just yet as they say I am very expensive and want to waste no time with me being on site... there is no point having pay someone a fortune to sit around all day :D

And because I am just about to start work again I was wondering about what makes not just a great leader... but an exceptional one?

It's an extremely important question...

I don't want to be yet another "boss" that cracks his "whip" all the time to get things done.... I want to be a great leader that everyone can come to in times in trouble and in times of serious need... someone to look up to :)

I am loved by many people in the industry already .... I know though that I can always improve and there is always something somewhere that I know I can do better than I once did before.

I don't want to be a "whip cracker" beating people to a pulp (unless it is safety related and rightfully deserves it!!) and making people feel small... I don't like to make people feel small it's destructive... but yet I have always wanted to push people to their limits... but always concerned with breaking them if I am not careful... this is always a possibility too that one must take into consideration that everyone has different current levels of knowledge and some might be a little bit further behind than the rest at a certain point in time...

A few things I can't stand though are dangerous people (rightfully so nobody dangerous people!) and people that are employed because they are black... I hate black economic empowerment... it's horribly abusive and just racist as hell...

Yes sometimes once or twice I have been a bit of a "terminator" but it was only for a short while and everyone understood we were a bit behind schedule so they didn't take it to heart... also my dad being ill at that point made me a bit strange at one point luckily it didn't last :)

I am loved by many already and lots of people love working with me and enjoy my sense of humor and say I am one of the coolest and most pleasurable people to work with and they always want to be with me on a project :)

So... what do you think makes not just a great leader but an extraordinary and profound one that breaks the mold that everyone comes to love and admire? :)

A great leader is that guy that picks up a shovel and starts digging. A few grab shovels and join in. Before long someone takes the shovel from the leader and continues the task with the other followers. After a hole or two has been dug, the leader mentions needing yet another hole and the followers jump to with glee.

Lead by example and others will follow.

Upvote 0
A great leader is that guy that picks up a shovel and starts digging. A few grab shovels and join in. Before long someone takes the shovel from the leader and continues the task with the other followers. After a hole or two has been dug, the leader mentions needing yet another hole and the followers jump to with glee.

Lead by example and others will follow.

Nice!!! :D

I love it!!!

Upvote 0
A great leader can be good or evil. ;) Even though they were heinous, evil, people, Hitler, Charles Manson, and others were still posessed great leadership skills. I've found leadership to be natural, not something you learn, or a skill to pick up. Charisma is important, some way they inspire people to want to run through a wall for them.

Upvote 0
A great leader can be good or evil. ;) Even though they were heinous, evil, people, Hitler, Charles Manson, and others were still posessed great leadership skills. I've found leadership to be natural, not something you learn, or a skill to pick up. Charisma is important, some way they inspire people to want to run through a wall for them.

Hey Unforgiven buddy yes!

Thank you I appreciate such wise and kind words :)

Lol that must be why lots of people like me they say I have a lot of potential this is what my old mentor used to say.

But sometimes I wonder I think certain things can definitely be learned :)

But yes when it goes to such incredible lengths yes those people are born with such amazing talents.

Those are some brilliant words buddy thanks :)

This time I have about 50 people now under my command!

It's going to be heeectic I am used to leading to bit of a smaller group that then would give the orders underneath them but never so many before it might be a bit more than 50 they told me.

Phew gonna be heavy!

But I must take good care of my boys :D

Upvote 0
I used to play in a brass band which had a great conductor. Did I like the guy? Not really, he was arrogant and full of himself. But he knew what he was talking about, an excellent musician, and certainly got the best out of the band. In the end they sacked him, for various reasons, but the band hasn't achieved the same greatness without that leader.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
I used to play in a brass band which had a great conductor. Did I like the guy? Not really, he was arrogant and full of himself. But he knew what he was talking about, an excellent musician, and certainly got the best out of the band. In the end they sacked him, for various reasons, but the band hasn't achieved the same greatness without that leader.

Yes I can be a hard bastard too sometimes I got called "the terminator" at one point lol.

But very interesting what you say hey very true that

Thanks LV426 buddy :)

Upvote 0
A great leader? One that takes care of his people, protects the people and doesn't let the economy go to the crapper. Unfortunately, nepotism is a real issue and politics are very biased.

Nepotism is a very serious and real issue that is for sure!

VERY good point!

I was working with a clown but the ONLY reason why he even got the job in the first place was because his daddy is a big shot in the industry at Sasol... really ****ing pathetic I must say.

Didn't earn a single ****ing cent he has "earned".... everything was GIVEN to him.

His father is one of the best and most respected in the industry he set the codes for SASOL (an amazing feat!)... I must admit the father is remarkable... but he (the useless son) didn't even work to achieve ANYTHING on his own just got given all his work instead of getting in on merit it is disgusting.

In fact as one gets older you become more and more aware of these sad stories that are riddled with corruption / nepotism and it is everywhere it is very sad.

I blocked that jerk (useless son) on whatsapp and on my cellphone because he had the audacity to ask me for work when he used to treat me like a prick and said I was no good for this industry because I have now surpassed him.

I couldn't believe it when that prick called me.

Unbelievable.

But I agree nepotism is everywhere these days and it's very scary.

Some so called "successful people" are just a bunch of con artists that didn't even earn a single cent or qualification everything was just given to them it's disgusting.

Man even thinking about that idiot makes me start swearing.

I also need to work on that a bit too I get a bit too angry sometimes not good.

Upvote 0
His father is one of the best and most respected in the industry ... but he (the useless son) didn't even work to achieve ANYTHING on his own

And who is responsible for that? The son who was given everything or the father who gave it to him?

As for leadership, I couldn't tell you. I am neither a leader nor a follower. I am a loose canon that marches to a different drummer. ;)

Upvote 0
And who is responsible for that? The son who was given everything or the father who gave it to him?

As for leadership, I couldn't tell you. I am neither a leader nor a follower. I am a loose canon that marches to a different drummer. ;)

:D

I always dig your style Loonie! :D

That is SO true!

Yes very true what you say... the father was definitely pulling some strings to get his loser son into the positions he is in... he didn't work for **** all!

Yes the father is to blame for sure

And lol yes I also love to go to my own beat! ;D

I know exactly what you mean I love to be different thats why I love BlackBerry and want to get the KeyONE- it's just different and thats why I love it so :)

Yes his father is to blame... nobody likes working with him... he was such a jerk he was working 2 projects at the same time and ONLY came in AFTER main hours so he could get over time what a piece of SH!T... I can't believe what I was seeing back then in those days I really hate him.

Yes you are right his father is actually also to blame!

Sometimes I much prefer to have almost died trying to get where I am today I am far more grateful for it rather than it being given to me by "daddy".

I would rather struggle than be given everything on a silver platter... at least I am humble and have rightfully earned through pulling out my hair and sweat - I have earned my unique and slightly special place.

But I will never forget where I came from.

This reminds me of a great cartoon I must share with anyone who has encountered what I did before... I am sure you will too if you haven't already...

https://digitalsynopsis.com/inspiration/privileged-kids-on-a-plate-pencilsword-toby-morris/

Upvote 0
I'm sure you know we can discuss "daddy issues" forever. ;)

Being a dad is hard. Give too much and you spoil the child. Give too little and you don't let them have the opportunity they might have had. Most dad's want the best for their kids (if they don't, then **** them :eek: )

But it's not only about how much you give, but how you teach them what to do with what they've got. And how to appreciate what they have and understand in different conditions they could have been much worse off. Saying "no" is much more important than saying "yes", because with "no" must come a lesson. Some dad's take the easy way out and say yes to everything.

But you can't blame the parents either. In my life experiences I have met children of the wealthy who were privileged all their lives who are the nicest, most down-to-earth people you can meet and I've known poor folks who are exactly the same way. Then again, I have met many a-holes and snobs from various economic walks of life with nice parents.

I will say this, of all the people I've met in my life, it is those who've faced struggles early who have turned out to be the strongest, both in terms of leadership and character. (present company included :thumbsupdroid:)

Upvote 0
Those are extremely wise words Loonie thank you my special friend :)

Thanks for that... yes being a dad I think is extremely difficult indeed... when I used to look after kids wow it was insane... sometimes I shouldn't criticize my own father like I do ... give too much and they are spoiled that is exactly what has happened to daddy's boy... he drives around in an approximately valued 100 000 usd car and he doesn't actually deserve it ... and he treats people terribly... he is not a leader at all... not a real one anyway...

But give too little and you can deprive them of what could have been a great journey... true indeed!

Anyone who knows me quite well knows how much I have struggled and they are amazed at how I bounced back from life's challenges... but some always said "I will see you on TV someday!" lol such encouraging words :) ... I always respect those more who have suffered and come through it all still with a smile on their dial not letting things get the better of them or thinking they are better than everyone else :)

Everyone who has seen me rise in the recent years have warned not to become arrogant. It does happen a lot I have even felt the power it is tremendous but don't let it go to your head - so very true.

Deep and profound words as always thanks Loonie I needed that :)

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
#1 rule of leadership: always take care of your people, and they will take care of you.

#2 rule: praise in public, reprimand in private.

Not many people want to fail at work. They want to know they're doing a good job, they want to be trusted to do it and recognized for it.

Train your people, delegate and trust. Micromanaging is not necessary if you're doing your job training them. Cross-train them so if one person is out, someone else can cover for them. Train your best people to do your job. Recognize achievement publicly, and privately mentor those who need improvement. Understand that they're all human: each with their own lives and the drama that comes with it. Be the kind of leader they will want to be, and someone who will be remembered long after you're gone.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones