• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What network while in Canada

Thinking of switching to cricket from Pageplus. I will use the $30 a month plan then in the summer when I sometimes go up to Canada I will switch to the 50/45 a month plan which includes calling and data when in Canada.

Question: anyone know what network cricket uses when up in Canada and is it any good for talk and data?
The only reason I want to leave Pageplus is that it doesn't work at all in Canada since its only CDMA which is no longer in Canada. I like how PagePlus works in the USA on Verizon network. To bad PagePlus doesn't work in Canada at all.

Oh another question I will first try cricket with my old Samsung Galaxy light GSM phone its an unlocked Tmobile phone. Then if I like Cricket get a get a better GSM phone, I can just swap out the SIM card into a better phone right? Say maybe a Galaxy S4 Active . At least I think thats all I have to do.

It really depends on location in Canada but Rogers is the biggest one I see people post about roaming on

But I have also seen people post about being connected to Bell and Telus in Canada as well.. so it depends on location. Some folks even say in some areas they can choose between the three in their phone settings.. I'm sure it has to do with the price AT&T is allowed to roam for vs the coverage they get for that price.. meaning carriers can change month to month or year to year depending on the contract AT&T has which is probably why they don't post a list and make you call to find out.

And yes you can just sim swap.. but why not get a free or discounted phone from Cricket when you port? They have plenty as low as $10 or did.. no contract! But if you get one from Cricket, better chance it will work on all AT&T bands until you can afford a better unlocked phone that is built for AT&T

Most T-Mobile phones will work but you might run into roaming issues and some localized band issues in America if the phone doesn't have all the bands AT&T needs

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, most people post and report that Data and calls work very well with no issues at all and not even noticing they are out of America

I have used my phone once in Mexico (never Canada) and it worked wonderfully well

Remember, if you decide to join Cricket hop in the referral thread and save even more! Few options in there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cricket has just announced, in 35 days, they will throttle any user surpassing 22 GB during monthly cycle. That sucks, and makes them the worst choice because their speeds will remain 8mbps.

Cricket has always throttled 8 meg down and 4 meg up. Its right on there webpage. I have no issues at that speed at all. Stream youtube no problem . As far a 22 gigs a month data you must be on the unlimited plan. Thats a lot of data in a month. The OP is talking about the 45 a month plan which is 8 gigs of data so no effect on him at all. So not sure why you posted that in this thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones