• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What was Your First Android Device?

Windroid

Android Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2023
What was your first Android device?

I'll start: My first Android device was a Kindle Fire (2nd Gen. or so), not long after Amazon first brought out the Kindle Fire line. The screen was small, not much bigger than my modern iPhone's screen. It didn't have a good desktop: Finding and launching apps could be a pain, and shutting down apps was even more of a pain. But there was one thing it was good at: Letting me buy and read e-books! I have a soft spot for that little blue tablet.

Now, don't let this scare you off from buying a modern Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire has come a long way from the days of 2nd Gen.; you'll be able to launch and shut down apps just fine on a modern Kindle Fire tablet!

My introduction to Android was with a Coby Kyros MID7015. all of 1 core, 256MB of RAM, a resistive touch screen, and Android 2.1

Let's just say it was not the welcome intro I expected. I think the only app that actually worked was YouTube. Well, that one worked for a year then support died for that version of the app and it was too outdated out of the box to update the app.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I took me getting over years of Apple bias (I was very fond of and used to iOS 6) and getting a proper, flagship product instead of a bottom of the barrel $50 device at Kmart to realize that.

Fun fact: The Kyros, while it had a version of Aldiko installed, couldn't even do ebooks right. The app was broken out the gate and kept crashing. The app store, called Appslib, claimed it didn't support my country on launch so I had to sideload the few remaining apps that worked with 2.1, which there weren't many. That's how I discovered Dolphin Mini which I still use today, as the tablet's built-in browser couldn't even load Google (and it was stuck in Chinese)

Upvote 0
htc hero

71izLPVJmEL.jpg

i miss the trackball.....it was so cool to use.

Upvote 0
First gen of a moto razar cell.
I kind of remember using a ton of my mobile data to talk with everyone on fb using the app hahahaa :) No regrets.
Second one was a LG chocolate Touch, third one was a moto z two turbo.
Four and final form is a Moto edge plus.
Second one was also a Samsung Galaxy s3. Seriously troubles with that device up to the end.
:)

Upvote 0
Come on, I can't be the only one that my first Android was a HTC Google G1 (HTC Dream) (the very first Android phone). Came with Android 1.6 (Donut) and rooted to install Froyo 2.2 (currently installed) :)

But what it is more amazing is that I decided to get the second battery (I think they were giving them free for some reason I can't remember) and as of today, still turns on and works fine with the first original battery!!!

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Upvote 0
HTC Desire - the original model, codename Bravo, rather than any of the later models to bear that name.
Htc-desire-2.jpg

Complete with the little optical trackpad in the button (sort of fun but not hard to see why they didn't continue with that), android 2.1 (upgradable to 2.3) and a whole 147MB of internal storage for apps!

Root was obligatory if you wanted this to be much use. There was a thriving device forum here, with a number of us supporting people who tried to root and mod this phone - up to and including editing the bootloader to repartition the internal storage (if you dispensed with HTC's Sense environment you could shrink the system partition and get the data one over 300 MB ;)). The same hardware, with a trackball rather than the optical trackpad, was sold as the Nexus One (the first and last Nexus phone to have a removable storage card).

Mine was a first revision device with an AMOLED screen: later versions used LCDs after Samsung decided that they couldn't (or, people suspected, wouldn't) supply sufficient screens to their rival. It's still in a drawer, with a modified version of a compact 2.3 AOSP ROM on it, but there's really not much you can do with it now. Pretty good device for the time, but the miniscule storage was a big mistake even back then (this phone was about the last gasp for the original Android model of tiny internal storage and hope that removable cards can make up for the limitations).

Reactions: Shadea and olbriar
Upvote 0
Motorola Sholes, AKA A855 OG Droid. Bought on release day. Rooted just as soon as the method was found. My my my, the memories. alldroid.org, sholes.info, all those other sites that have now gone bye bye. Hell, I used to have some of the first guides out there compiled and used to host a million different ROM's on my server because I got tired of all the fly by night sites.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones